Create account / Log in

Arkham Horror

Post about ongoing games here.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Re: Arkham Horror

Postby ropable » April 14th, 2012, 11:39 am

Bit of a copy-paste from a PM I sent to others earlier, describing the steps I took to get everything working:

On the "Arkham Horror" Vassal modules page, download the "Arkham_Horror_FFG.vmod‎" file and the "AH_base_decks_safe.vmdx" file. I copied mine into the Vassal install folder. One issue I had: before I loaded the AH module, I had to replace all the underscores in the filename with spaces, i.e. -> Arkham Horror FFG.vmod (otherwise the main game board would not load). In the same location as the module, create a folder called "Arkham Horror FFG_ext" and copy the "AH base decks safe.vmdx" file inside it (I replaced the underscores with spaces in this file too, but I don't know if this is req'd). Now you can open the AH module in Vassal, then right-click it and add the base decks extension.

FWIW I'm also using the newest Vassal (3.1.18). Maybe try reproducing the step with the extension file - I don't know enough about Vassal to know if that is the usual method of using module extensions?

Adder007USA wrote:Still trying to get this to work. In the mean time, I'm gonna be taking monterey jack as my char
ropable

Postby monsterfurby » April 14th, 2012, 12:17 pm

If you use vassal's own import function, you don't have to rename the module file. You DO have to rename the extension file though (for this game, that is).
I suppose the reason for this is that the modules have some sort of "internal" name/ID which is saved in the savegame, whereas the extensions are just loaded by file name.
monsterfurby

Postby TunaDude » April 15th, 2012, 1:20 am

Done! It's been a while since I played Arkham, so please let me know if I missed anything. Also I have to confess I don't actually own the game. Can someone PM me what the knife and the food does? (Don't post it publicly or we could get in trouble!)
Attachments
Bob_jenkins_p5.vsav
(48.42 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
TunaDude

Postby ropable » April 15th, 2012, 10:17 am

This site here has all the details that you might need to look up, until your copy arrives in the mail :wink:

TunaDude wrote:Done! It's been a while since I played Arkham, so please let me know if I missed anything. Also I have to confess I don't actually own the game. Can someone PM me what the knife and the food does? (Don't post it publicly or we could get in trouble!)
ropable

Postby ropable » April 15th, 2012, 12:26 pm

An update on player status, following on from TunaDude's save above:

• ropable (confirmed, player 1)
  • HDread
  • monsterfurby (confirmed, player 2)
  • Adder007USA
  • TunaDude (confirmed, player 5)
ropable

Postby TunaDude » April 16th, 2012, 12:19 am

ropable wrote:This site here has all the details that you might need to look up, until your copy arrives in the mail :wink:

TunaDude wrote:Done! It's been a while since I played Arkham, so please let me know if I missed anything. Also I have to confess I don't actually own the game. Can someone PM me what the knife and the food does? (Don't post it publicly or we could get in trouble!)

Thanks! This will do until I receive my own copy.
TunaDude

Postby HDread » April 17th, 2012, 8:25 am

SORRY! I apologize this took me so long to post up. I've been putting in applications everywhere and I finally got a job, my time on Vassal would be rather limited so I'm afraid I'm going to have to duck out. I wish you all luck on the game.
HDread

Postby ropable » April 17th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Half your luck! It's all good.

HDread wrote:SORRY! I apologize this took me so long to post up. I've been putting in applications everywhere and I finally got a job, my time on Vassal would be rather limited so I'm afraid I'm going to have to duck out. I wish you all luck on the game.
ropable

Postby ropable » April 17th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Chaps - apologies, but I have to take an unscheduled hiatus from the internet for a couple of days due to work. I'm still keen to play this game if you are; how about we get started with three if Adder007USA hasn't replied when I get back? Should be 2-3 days at most.
ropable

Postby Adder007USA » April 18th, 2012, 12:26 am

I'm around, still wrestiling with the program, sorry have been really busy with school and work but should have it running soon
Adder007USA

Postby cameron » April 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm

if you guys are still accepting new players, than I would like to join. Although I have not played Arkham Horror before nor am I very familiar with vassal.

EDIT: From what I can tell after reading the posts in this thread. You have to own the game in order to play?
cameron

Postby ropable » April 22nd, 2012, 12:53 pm

Ought to be fine for you to join. Check the thread for steps to get the latest save working (it's the one with Bob Jenkins joined as player 5) - I may have inadvertently made it trickier by renaming an extension file :oops: . Load and join the game as player 3 or 4, draw your starting equipment, and reload an updated save.

And no, you don't strictly need to own the game to play (I'm borrowing my brother's copy). A PDF of the rules is available quite legitimately online. Some of the in-Vassal cards have no text, so you'll have to look up the details on the AH Wiki I linked to above.

cameron wrote:if you guys are still accepting new players, than I would like to join. Although I have not played Arkham Horror before nor am I very familiar with vassal.

EDIT: From what I can tell after reading the posts in this thread. You have to own the game in order to play?
ropable

Postby ropable » April 26th, 2012, 11:39 am

cameron/Adder: either of you managed to put your investigator into the save game, yet?
ropable

Postby Adder007USA » April 26th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Scratch my participation, I just can't seem to get it to work and I don't want to hold you guys up any futher
Adder007USA

Postby mikeeboy723 » April 28th, 2012, 3:20 am

I'm very interested in finding done people to play arkham horror with if you are still accepting players. I have not yet found anyone to play with, so I haven't played a game myself, but am willing to learn. Let me know what you think
mikeeboy723

Previous

Return to Games in Progress