Create account / Log in

Why so few modules with zoom hotkeys?

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Why so few modules with zoom hotkeys?

Postby ridcully » June 20th, 2020, 9:10 am

I've gotten quite used to Vassal now and have gotten a few games under my belt. However one thing I find quite puzzling- why do so few modules not have zoom hotkeys? To me zooming in and out is a vital part of the Vassal experience. Zoom out to get the "big picture" or zoom in to better read small text on cards/ counters, or even just to admire the artwork.

Thankfully not every module has this omission, but I still find why such a basic function isn't more widely used.
ridcully

Re: Why so few modules with zoom hotkeys?

Postby slimy » June 20th, 2020, 10:26 am

When you add Zoom capability to a window, it does not set hot keys. The editor has to put them in.
slimy

Re: Why so few modules with zoom hotkeys?

Postby Jardic » June 28th, 2020, 11:43 am

If you want to add hot keys to your own personalized version of a module it should be easy to do.
If you ENSURE your hot key is unique to any other in the module. just add the keys to your version module.
It should work fine and be transparent to the other players, since zoom only effects your view..

Did I say the hotkey you select MUST be UNIQUE from any other key commands. the command will get sent to everyone playing. But if it does nothing on their end no problem.

open the module in the editor go to the "map" you want to have the feature.
"Map" can also be a chart that has a zoom feature.
select "Zoom capability"
type in your hot keys
you will have to do this for each "map" the 3 commands can be the same on all the maps.
click 'OK'
save the module. I suggest save with new variation of the module name.

Test and make sure the module doesn't blow up, your or opponents game.
Attachments
zzZoom.png
zoom commands
zzZoom.png (125.2 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Jardic

Return to General Discussion