Create account / Log in

User Experiences with Big Sur

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: User Experiences with Big Sur

Postby marktb1961 » November 21st, 2020, 1:21 am

uckelman wrote:I've seen quite a few reports of problems with Big Sur's automatic tabbing with a wide range of applications. It looks like there will be fix for the tab label drawing problem in a Java update:

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JD ... Order=desc

Thanks Joel - that problem you linked to is exactly what I have been seeing as the text in the title of the "Active" tab of a tabbed charts window, since moving to Big Sur. That particular one is not so bad as the tabs locking things up but nice to know it might get fixed.
Platform used:
Vassal 3.4.10
MacOS Big Sur
iMac (27", mid-2020)
marktb1961

Re: User Experiences with Big Sur

Postby hlhudson74 » November 21st, 2020, 4:45 pm

Good Morning,

I am a new user to Vassal and installed this on a newly upgraded iMac 27 with Big Sur and had the exact same issues when selecting any option that opened another window within any module I loaded into Vassal. This resulted in a tabbed configuration view and a java instance that was unresponsive and could only be closed by a Force Quit option of the module.

Changing the General System Preference setting of 'Prefer tabs' from 'Always' to 'Never' resolved the issue and all tabs are now visible and the module continues to operate normally.

I have Windows 10 setup up in boot camp and testing of Vassal and several modules in that environment worked properly and the tabs are properly stacked in the additional windows that are created by the modules. When running on Big Sur, there is only a single row of tabs that you have to scroll through horizontally to get to them all.
Henry Hudson
iMac 27, Big Sur, 64GB
hlhudson74

Previous

Return to General Discussion