Create account / Log in

Help for a Mac User

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Help for a Mac User

Postby amberteresa » July 26th, 2018, 8:46 am

Hi All,

I am new to the Vassal environment and am struggling to load modules.
I have loaded the Vassal program and taken the tour. I have also downloaded some modules (e.g., Crusader Rex), but cannot access them. I am using an iMac running Mac OS 10.4.11. The file folder on my desktop for Crusader Rex contains: buildFile and info files, an images folder, and the cusader_start.html. When I try to use the PlayModule button on the Vassal engine and then select the start file I get the following error message: ZipException:error in opening zip file.
I am pretty sure I may have missed as step along the way, but I’ll be darned if I can figure out what it would be.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
amberteresa

Re: Help for a Mac User

Postby JoelCFC25 » July 26th, 2018, 1:01 pm

A valid VASSAL module that can be opened by the program is a file with a .vmod suffix. However, a .vmod file is simply a zipfile with the file suffix changed. Depending on what browser you are using and how you downloaded the file, it's possible that it was auto-detected as a zipfile and something on your system decided to "helpfully" unzip it for you. The folder you're looking at with the contents you listed are what you'd end up with if you unzipped a module.

You either need to package that folder's contents back into a zipfile and rename it, or try a different browser for the original download which will not alter the file on the fly when the download completes.
JoelCFC25

Return to General Discussion