Create account / Log in

Hide some but not all counters

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Hide some but not all counters

Postby Angel0616 » April 22nd, 2019, 8:16 pm

Hi,

How can I hide some counters on the map?

Looking for something similar to the hide all command but to be applied only to some unit types.

Maybe by setting a value on the counter and then using a Key command that would apply only to counters with that value? Not sure how that would work or if even possible.

Did a search of the forums but got nothing of value. Maybe I'm not searching for the right topics. :?


Thanks,
Ang
Angel0616
 
Posts: 16
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby tar » April 22nd, 2019, 10:34 pm

You want to look at masking counters.

The "hide all counters" is the to let you see the map when the are a lot of
counters. Masking is more selective and can hide counters from only one
side.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 2:16 PM Angel0616 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I hide some counters on the map?
>
> Looking for something similar to the hide all command but to be applied
> only to some unit types.
>
> Maybe by setting a value on the counter and then using a Key command
> that would apply only to counters with that value? Not sure how that
> would work or if even possible.
>
> Did a search of the forums but got nothing of value. Maybe I'm not
> searching for the right topics. :?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Ang
>
> _______________________________________________
> Read this topic online here:
> viewtopic.php?p=56792#p56792
> _______________________________________________
> messages mailing list
> messages@vassalengine.org
> http://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages
>
User avatar
tar
 
Posts: 772
Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 6:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby Angel0616 » April 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think masking is not what I need though.

Looking for a way to hide all counters of a specific type.

Ideally set a key command that would hide, for example, all markers.


Ang
Angel0616
 
Posts: 16
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby shilinski » April 23rd, 2019, 2:33 am

What does hide mean for you? Invisible? Masked? And hide from whom? Everybody? You give too little information.
shilinski
 
Posts: 87
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 8:46 am
Location: Laurel, Maryland

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby tar » April 23rd, 2019, 2:42 am

Ok, I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

Instead what you can do is assign different types of counters to game piece
layers and then hide particular layers.
This is probably the easiest approach, although pieces on different layers
won't stack. So that may not work for markers.
In that case you may need to do something more complicated with traits and
key commands to have selective hiding.



On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 5:37 PM Angel0616 wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I don't think masking is not what I need though.
>
> Looking for a way to hide all counters of a specific type.
>
> Ideally set a key command that would hide, for example, all markers.
>
>
> Ang
>
> _______________________________________________
> Read this topic online here:
> viewtopic.php?p=56794#p56794
> _______________________________________________
> messages mailing list
> messages@vassalengine.org
> http://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages
>
User avatar
tar
 
Posts: 772
Joined: January 2nd, 2008, 6:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles area

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby JoelCFC25 » April 23rd, 2019, 3:05 pm

You can use Game Piece Layers and have a toolbar button that stops pieces assigned to specified layers from rendering altogether (i.e. they toggle their visibility entirely), but whether that works or not for you depends on your stacking needs. Read the documentation on Game Piece Layers for more information.

If you just want to activate an Invisible, Mask, or Layer trait on certain kinds of pieces, a simple Marker trait will do (e.g. a Marker of "UnitType" with values like "Infantry", "Air", "Artillery", or whatever you need). Then you can have a Global Key Command that employs a property match expression to correctly identify which units will receive the command, which in turns does whatever trait you settle on for your "hiding" needs.
JoelCFC25
 
Posts: 564
Joined: October 12th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Location: Minnetrista, MN

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby Angel0616 » April 23rd, 2019, 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

By "hide" I mean have the counters not seen on the game map. They still exist but can be hidden to show the other units or terrain in the hex.

I expect that "Layer" should work, I'll try to make that work. No success so far.
Angel0616
 
Posts: 16
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Re: Hide some but not all counters

Postby Angel0616 » April 23rd, 2019, 8:01 pm

Thank you all you replied.

Once I got the Layers to work, it works wonderfully.

:D
Angel0616
 
Posts: 16
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests