Create account / Log in

DeobfuscatingInputStream

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

DeobfuscatingInputStream

Postby drimmer » September 7th, 2020, 2:54 am

Hi

I want to use the DeobfuscatingInputStream class to view the contents of a vlog file. Is this the correct way to be able to view a vlog file without the encryption?

If so, how best to do it?

Thanks
Doug
drimmer

Re: DeobfuscatingInputStream

Postby Flint1b » September 8th, 2020, 10:24 am

This is somewhat sensitive information, do you want a step-by-step instruction on how to build a cheat tool that allows you to see what your opponents are hiding, including their passwords in cleartext, then distribute that tool to the Vassal community?

You figured out the DeobfuscatingInputStream, you can figure out the rest on your own. It took me 1-2 hours to build such a tool.

No, I won't share it :)
Flint1b

Postby drimmer » September 10th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Flint1b wrote:This is somewhat sensitive information, do you want a step-by-step instruction on how to build a cheat tool that allows you to see what your opponents are hiding, including their passwords in cleartext, then distribute that tool to the Vassal community?

You figured out the DeobfuscatingInputStream, you can figure out the rest on your own. It took me 1-2 hours to build such a tool.

No, I won't share it :)

Thanks for the reply. My intent is certainly not to build a cheat tool. We are talking about board games here, wtf purpose is there in cheating in such meaningless endeavours! I have better things to do.

I am trying to help others who create replays of games for instructional purposes. They would like to have various tools to allow them to manipulate log files to provide better learning opportunities. To build those tools, I need to know what the inside of .vlog file looks like.
Doug
drimmer

Postby Flint1b » September 10th, 2020, 11:55 pm

I was just joking about the cheating, and I too was surprised to learn that there apparently are people who do cheat.

Sadly (or luckily?) the DeobfuscatingBlablaStream is not built for being used from the outside, I had to use reflection and some dirty awt hack to get it to work.

Opening up the file formats for interoperability with other tools would be a very interesting project, we are currently in the process of discussing JSON as a format for saving modules.
Flint1b

Postby LoadEffectiveAddress » September 21st, 2020, 5:38 am

This is a confusing conversation, you can just run the DeobfuscatingInputStream class directly from the command line if you want to decrypt a file. No reflection or weird hackery required. Understanding the file format you are left with is harder, of course.
LoadEffectiveAddress

Return to General Discussion