Create account / Log in

How to insert a Log Sheet?

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

How to insert a Log Sheet?

Postby Toante » March 15th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Hi to everibody,
I hope to have post in the right section of the forum:
I'm a veteran user of Vassal, but I'm a total noob in module creation.

After several years of gaming tactical air combat modules (Air Force, Air Power) I'd will like to create a new module.

All is proceedings well, but I'm not able to create a Log Sheet "à la Air Force".

I explain better: I need to attach to a counter a Log Sheet to record the movement of the Aircraft to calculate the following-turn Speed & Altitude.
i tried with the spreadsheet option, but i can't set up the Row & Column titles (ex. Game Turn, Moves...). I tried an HTML chart too, but to no avail.

Please, can someone to help me about this problem?

Thank you all in advance,
Toante
Toante

Postby DrNostromo » March 16th, 2010, 2:51 am

One thing I do is create a card with dynamic label counters on it. I keep the card in a separate hidden deck. I then place a small button on the counter to go get the card and display it. This card would have a close button on it that would send it back to it's hidden deck. Any information on the card would be maintained.

Does that make sense?
DrNostromo

Postby Toante » March 16th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Thank You very much for your quick answer, Dr.Nostromo, i really appreciate!

I think your concept is very interesting, but given my scarce experience in module design I've tried to follow your advice but I could obtain nothing useful.

Please, please, could you be so kind to illustrate me step-by-step the procedure ? (I know I'm obnoxious...)

My intentions will be to obtain a log similar to those I attach below.

Thank You for your patience!![/img]
Attachments
B_17C_(Rowles).jpg
Log exemple
B_17C_(Rowles).jpg (184.69 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Toante

Postby DrNostromo » March 17th, 2010, 12:48 am

Whoa, that's complex. In order to log movement for 20 turns or more and display statistics for each move on each counter, you'd need a phenomenal amount of global properties and triggers.

It seems that it would be easier to just have a set of global properties that adjust themselves on each turn and display what the following turn speed & altitude would be based on previous information. Would that work or do you really need all that information?
DrNostromo

Postby Toante » March 17th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Dr.Nostromo,

you're right: I've already examined the Log Sheet that is inserted within the Air Force module and I've only understood that (1) it's really complicated and (2) the creator it'a a very patient genius.

So, yes I think your solution appear the better: a set of global properties that trace the present-turn moves and calculate the next-turn starting parameters.

But which instrucions I had to use: the Game Piece Property Sheet ?

Thank You again,
Toante
Toante

Return to General Discussion