Create account / Log in

Translation working? I don't think so

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Postby Traxis » March 2nd, 2008, 10:07 pm

Hi to all, although i'm new here, i've been using Vassal for quite some time. I think it's a great tool for "Board Geeks" like us, and for new board games developers too, so i want to thank the dev/s for all his/their work.

Now to the main topic. Lately i've been trying to translate Vassal to my native language (Spanish), and that went really well. It works like a charm.
But the big problem (and a bug i think) it's that the Module Translation i did, doesn't work at all. Concretely, it's like it doesn't exist. Vassal ignores it, and i searched inside the module and it's there (Module_es_ES.properties). But the module it's on english... I even tried to make an extension (copying it on a modulename_ext folder) with a test translation and nothing. I'm out of luck with this :(
By the way, i tried with Java 5.0 and Java 6.0 updated to the latest, and i'm on Windows XP Pro SP2.

I hope this can help with the development of Vassal, and it's future.
Traxis

Postby Brent Easton » March 2nd, 2008, 11:09 pm

Hi Traxis,

What is your language setting in your 'Regional and Language Options' Control Panel? Vassal translations are automatically activated when one is found that matches the XP language setting.

The file is in the correct place inside the module. It gets distributed with the module. It looks like you have created a country specific translation (Spanish/Spain). If you create it as an 'Any Country' translation (just rename your existing file from Module_es_ES.properties to Module_es.properties), then it will work in any Spanish speaking country. Individual difference between different countries can then be catered for by creating additional country specific translations.

Translating Vassal happens in 2 parts. The Vassal interface itself is translated from the 'Translate -> Translate VASSAL user interface' menu option on the Module Editor. This creates a VASSAL_xx.properties file that we include in the base Vassal release for all speakers of that language.

Individual modules are translated seperately using the 'Translate' menu option on components in the editor. This creates a Module_xx.properties file that stays in the module and translates that module only, allowing other Spanish players to see the names and reports of that module only in the target language.

If you have the time, we would very much appreciate it if you could translate the Vassal interface into Spanish (Translate -> Translate VASSAL user interface on the Module Editor window). If you could post the resulting VASSAL_es.properties file on the forum, we will include it in the base Vassal release for all Spanish speakers. This will allow Spanish speakers to see the entire Vassal Play interface in Spanish.

The Module Editor is not translatable though. For now, this is English only.

Regards,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 2/03/2008 at 2:07 PM Traxis wrote:

Hi to all, although i'm new here, i've been using Vassal for quite some
time. I think it's a great tool for "Board Geeks" like us, and for new
board games developers too, so i want to thank the dev/s for all his/their
work.

Now to the main topic. Lately i've been trying to translate Vassal to my
native language (Spanish), and that went really well. It works like a
charm.
But the big problem (and a bug i think) it's that the Module Translation i
did, doesn't work at all. Concretely, it's like it doesn't exist. Vassal
ignores it, and i searched inside the module and it's there
(Module_es_ES.properties). But the module it's on english... I even tried
to make an extension (copying it on a modulename_ext folder) and nothing.
I'm out of luck with this :(
By the way, i tried with Java 5.0 and Java 6.0 updated to the latest, and
i'm on Windows XP Pro SP2.

I hope this can help with the development of Vassal, and it's future.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Brent Easton

Postby Traxis » March 2nd, 2008, 11:28 pm

Hi Brent,

I'm glad you answered my post. My setting it's fine, i have it on "Español (España)" and it was like that when i installed my XP sometime ago. I also tried creating the translation using "Any Country" setting, but didn't work... so i don't know what's wrong. I'm thinking on trying with another module, to see if i can translate it, because i had to translate the module itself to use it in Spanish, for my friends (they don't know too much english :lol: ).

About translating Vassal to Spanish and posting the translation, i don't have any problem. On the contrary, i'll be happy to contribute with it. Just let some time so i can check it to see if there's any mistake/s :roll:
The module editor should be translatable, so anyone can translate it to help others to edit their modules :P
Traxis

Postby Brent Easton » March 2nd, 2008, 11:40 pm

Hi,

Hi Brent,

I'm glad you answered my post. My setting it's fine, i have it on "Español
(España)" and it was like that when i installed my XP sometime ago. I also
tried creating the translation using "Any Country" setting, but didn't
work... so i don't know what's wrong. I'm thinking on trying with another
module, to see if i can translate it, because i had to translate the
module itself to use it in Spanish, for my friends (they don't know too
much english [Laughing] ).ç

Can you send me a link to the module, I would like to track down the problem.

About translating Vassal to Spanish and posting the translation, i don't
have any problem. On the contrary, i'll be happy to contribute with it.
Just let some time so i can check it to see if there's any mistake/s
[Rolling Eyes]

That would be terrific if you could do that.

The module editor should be translatable, so anyone can translate it to
help others to edit their modules :P

It is on our list of 'things to do', but it is a huge job and we are unsure of how much demand there is for it.

Actually, it is something that relatively low-skilled Java programmers could potentially help us with, with instruction and under supervision. It would require setting up eclipse and being familiar with SVN, but the Java skills required are quite low.

Regards,
Brent.

Brent Easton

Postby Traxis » March 2nd, 2008, 11:48 pm

Hi Brent,

This is the module:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=121&page=Files

Update: I've just tried with a random module, and it doesn't work either :(

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=127&page=Files

Oh, and i'm using Vassal 3.0, but tried 3.1 SVN too with no luck at all...
Traxis

Postby Brent Easton » March 3rd, 2008, 2:29 am

Hi,

I needed your copy of the module with the translation inside.

But don't worry about it, I have been able to reproduce the problem in one of my own modules. You are correct, module translation is not working.

I'll look into it asap, the fix will be included in version 3.1.0 of Vassal.

Let me know if you have an questions about any of the options on the Spanish translation of the Vassal user interface. If you can get that done soonish, we can include that in version 3.1.0 also.

Regards,
Brent.

Brent Easton

Postby Traxis » March 4th, 2008, 2:49 am

Hi,

I see, so it doesn't work with other languages? Or just spanish? That's too bad anyway. I hope you can fix it, and if you can, tell me when it's ready to use or something. I really want to make a translation for the module, and not the module itself :?

I've uploaded my translation to rapidshare. I've revised it all, and i think it should be ready to use. If i find something wrong, i'll upload it again, updating it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/96878471/VASSAL_es_ES.properties.html
Traxis

Postby rk » March 5th, 2008, 1:13 am

Excellent! We'll include the Spanish translation in VASSAL 3.1.

Here's a workaround you can use in the meantime: Make a French translation for your module but enter the strings in Spanish instead of French. Then you can set your language preference to French and see your translation when you load the module.

rk

rk
Site Admin

Postby Traxis » March 7th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Hi,

I've update my translation fixing a little mistake. Also, i've discovered some things while trying to translate the module to Spanish (using Vassal 3.1 SVN):

1. There's no translation field for any "report" options on the game (auto-report on map window, report game pieces, report dices, etc), so i can't translate them. I had to edit the module again, and translate it directly (which i'd like to avoid).

2. There's a translation field for "player sides", but if you translate it, the "restricted access" trait stop working, because you can't translate it too.

Regards, Traxis
Attachments
Latest_VASSAL_es_ES.rar
This is the latest revision of my translation, get it and use it for Vassal 3.1
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Traxis

Return to Technical Support & Bugs