Create account / Log in

Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderator: bsmith

Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby barbanera » January 30th, 2012, 1:44 pm

For some reason CTRL-SHIFT-0 (zero) is not accepted in a restrict command trait.

Vassal 3.1.18 on Windows 7 64-bit
barbanera
 
Posts: 346
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby DrNostromo » January 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Using "O" as a key command is problematic. I know that one of them (CTRL O or SHIFT O) won't work. I generally skip using "O" altogether. Try changing the key command to some other letter.
Dr_Nostromo
Creator - To Be King, Trivial Wars, WWIV
Dr Nostromo's Place
Dr Nostromo's Forum
User avatar
DrNostromo
 
Posts: 846
Joined: December 21st, 2007, 3:54 am
Location: Wine Country, Cal. USA

Re: Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby barbanera » January 30th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Yes, I find out afterwards that CTRL-SHIFT-0 won't be taken as command key.

However, it was not so in prior versions of Vassal (3.0 for sure) as I have many SHIFT-0, CTRL-0, CTRL-SHIFT-0 commands with related restricted accesses that still work fine.

Vassal 3.1.18 won't just allow me to define similar commands anymore, for some reason.
barbanera
 
Posts: 346
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: [messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Cannot restrict CT

Postby uckelman » February 4th, 2012, 5:43 am

Thus spake barbanera:
> For some reason CTRL-SHIFT-0 (zero) is not accepted in a restrict
> command trait.
>
> _Vassal 3.1.18 on Windows 7 64-bit_

When you say it's not accepted, do you mean that you can't enter it in
the field in the editor, that it doesn't work when you do enter it, or
something else?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7229
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Heidelberg, DE

Re: Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby barbanera » February 4th, 2012, 11:01 am

The first one you said: I cannot enter it in the editor. It won't let me.

I have some traits that used SHIFT-0, CTRL-0, CTRL-SHIFT-0 , defined in Vassal 3.0 or earlier times, that still work.

However, if I change the SHIFT-0, say, to something else, then it won't let me re-enter it. Same if I just try to define a whole new trait using those command keys.

P.S. I am using Italian QWERTY keyboard (but the 0 is in the same place as on any QWERTY keyboard).
barbanera
 
Posts: 346
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: [messages] Edit: [Technical Support & Bugs] Re: Cannot r

Postby uckelman » February 13th, 2012, 5:28 am

Thus spake barbanera:
>
> The first one you said: I cannot enter it in the editor. It won't let
> me.

That's strange. I have no problem entering these in 3.1.18 on Linux
using a US QWERTY keyboard.

I wonder if this is a Windows 7 problem, or maybe something wrong with
the version of Java you're using?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7229
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Heidelberg, DE

Re: Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby barbanera » February 13th, 2012, 7:17 pm

I have tried again, with both Vassal 3.1.18 and 3.2.0 build 8080 on two computers both with Windows 7 Home Premium (one 32bit and the other 64bit). Unfortunately, both with Italian keyboard. Tried remapping to UK layout but no effect there.

I don't know why the other day it would not take SHIFT-0 and CTRL-0 but I have to take that back: they work.

However, CTRL-SHIFT-0 is not accepted.

How do I check the version of Java I am using?
barbanera
 
Posts: 346
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby irishwulf » February 13th, 2012, 10:44 pm

CTRL-SHIFT-0 is by default a reserved key combination for the language bar in Windows Vista and later:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967893

The directions in the link will allow you to change the key settings for changing input methods in the language bar.
irishwulf
 
Posts: 243
Joined: December 17th, 2011, 4:29 am

Re: Cannot restrict CTRL-SHIFT-0

Postby barbanera » February 14th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Thxs Irishwulf, well spotted again.
barbanera
 
Posts: 346
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm


Return to Technical Support & Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest