Create account / Log in

3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby tsnouffer » December 15th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I just updated to Yosemite and my existing version of VASSAL would not launch. I upgraded to 3.2.14 and now it will launch. However, 3.2.14 will launch, but scrolling around a large map like Where Eagles Dare is quite choppy. Also dragging counters around is suffering. For instance, when I click and drag a counter I don't see the ghost of the counter move with my pointer.

Someone over at BGG asked me to post this here so it can be diagnosed.
________________
Image
Games from the Front
User avatar
tsnouffer
 
Posts: 19
Joined: April 9th, 2012, 12:32 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby JoelCFC25 » December 15th, 2014, 4:31 pm

The first thing you need to do is determine your Java version, then report back here. Launch VASSAL, then in the Help menu, choose "Show Error Log".
JoelCFC25
 
Posts: 730
Joined: October 12th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Location: Minnetrista, MN

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » December 15th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Thus spake tsnouffer:
> I just updated to Yosemite and my existing version of VASSAL would not
> launch. I upgraded to 3.2.14 and now it will launch. However, 3.2.14
> will launch, but scrolling around a large map like Where Eagles Dare is
> quite choppy. Also dragging counters around is suffering. For instance,
> when I click and drag a counter I don't see the ghost of the counter
> move with my pointer.

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7716

The short answer is: Use Java 6 on Yosemite until Oracle fixes their
bug.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 10th, 2015, 1:22 am

I can't get anything past 3.2.11 to run on my ppc 10.5.8 either. How do I find out if I need to remove java 6 and how do I do it?
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 10th, 2015, 9:12 am

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> I can't get anything past 3.2.11 to run on my ppc 10.5.8 either. How do
> I find out if I need to remove java 6 and how do I do it?

I'd first check what JRE is on your path. Do this in a terminal:

java -version

What's the output?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 12th, 2015, 1:53 am

java version "1.5.0_30"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_30-161, mixed mode, sharing)
newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$

Thanks for the help!
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 13th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> java version "1.5.0_30"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_30-161, mixed mode, sharing)
> newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
>

What's the output of this command?

ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 13th, 2015, 11:19 pm

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Jul 28 2011 1.3 -> 1.3.1
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 29 2007 1.3.1
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 May 19 2011 1.4 -> 1.4.2
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Mar 11 2011 1.4.1 -> 1.4
drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Mar 11 2011 1.4.2
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Jul 28 2011 1.5 -> 1.5.0
drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Mar 11 2011 1.5.0
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Jul 28 2011 1.6 -> 1.6.0
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 59 Jul 28 2011 1.6.0 -> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents
drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 340 Jul 28 2011 A
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Jul 28 2011 Current -> A
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Jul 28 2011 CurrentJDK -> 1.5
newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 15th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Jul 28 2011 1.3 -> 1.3.1
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 29 2007 1.3.1
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 May 19 2011 1.4 -> 1.4.2
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Mar 11 2011 1.4.1 -> 1.4
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Mar 11 2011 1.4.2
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Jul 28 2011 1.5 -> 1.5.0
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 Mar 11 2011 1.5.0
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Jul 28 2011 1.6 -> 1.6.0
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 59 Jul 28 2011 1.6.0 ->
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents
> drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 340 Jul 28 2011 A
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Jul 28 2011 Current -> A
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Jul 28 2011 CurrentJDK -> 1.5
> newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$

Ok. What's the output of

ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A

?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 16th, 2015, 4:55 am

total 440
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Jul 28 2011 CodeResources -> _CodeSignature/CodeResources
drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 1258 Jul 28 2011 Commands
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jul 28 2009 Frameworks
drwxr-xr-x 16 root wheel 544 Jul 28 2011 Headers
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 3 2011 JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 219104 Jun 16 2011 JavaVM
drwxr-xr-x 33 root wheel 1122 Jul 28 2011 Resources
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jul 28 2011 _CodeSignature
newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 16th, 2015, 11:08 am

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> total 440
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Jul 28 2011 CodeResources ->
> _CodeSignature/CodeResources
> drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 1258 Jul 28 2011 Commands
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jul 28 2009 Frameworks
> drwxr-xr-x 16 root wheel 544 Jul 28 2011 Headers
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 3 2011 JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 219104 Jun 16 2011 JavaVM
> drwxr-xr-x 33 root wheel 1122 Jul 28 2011 Resources
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jul 28 2011 _CodeSignature
> newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$

And under JavaVM here?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 17th, 2015, 3:58 am

uckelman wrote:Thus spake fgilbert2:
> total 440
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Jul 28 2011 CodeResources ->
> _CodeSignature/CodeResources
> drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 1258 Jul 28 2011 Commands
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jul 28 2009 Frameworks
> drwxr-xr-x 16 root wheel 544 Jul 28 2011 Headers
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 3 2011 JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 219104 Jun 16 2011 JavaVM
> drwxr-xr-x 33 root wheel 1122 Jul 28 2011 Resources
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jul 28 2011 _CodeSignature
> newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$

And under JavaVM here?

--
J.


I'm sorry, but you completely lost me here. When you say "And under JavaVM here" what do you mean?

Thanks!
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 17th, 2015, 10:30 am

Thus spake fgilbert2:
>
> "uckelman" wrote:
> > Thus spake fgilbert2:
> > > total 440
> > > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Jul 28 2011 CodeResources ->
> > > _CodeSignature/CodeResources
> > > drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 1258 Jul 28 2011 Commands
> > > drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jul 28 2009 Frameworks
> > > drwxr-xr-x 16 root wheel 544 Jul 28 2011 Headers
> > > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 3 2011
> > JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
> > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 219104 Jun 16 2011 JavaVM
> > > drwxr-xr-x 33 root wheel 1122 Jul 28 2011 Resources
> > > drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jul 28 2011 _CodeSignature
> > > newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
> >
> > And under JavaVM here?
> >
> > --
> > J.
>
>
> I'm sorry, but you completely lost me here. When you say "And under
> JavaVM here" what do you mean?

There's a JavaVM directory listed in the output above. I wanted you to
to list the contents of that, but actually I think the one we need is
Commands instead:

ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 17th, 2015, 8:50 pm

ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands
total 4768
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68656 Jun 3 2011 appletviewer
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 apt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 extcheck
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 idlj
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jar
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jarsigner
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 java
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 81392 Jun 3 2011 java_home
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 javac
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 javadoc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 javah
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 javap
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 59920 Jun 3 2011 javaws
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jconsole
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jdb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jhat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jinfo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jmap
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jps
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jsadebugd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jstack
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jstat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 jstatd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 keytool
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68656 Jun 3 2011 native2ascii
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 orbd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 pack200
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68656 Jun 3 2011 policytool
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 rmic
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 rmid
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68656 Jun 3 2011 rmiregistry
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 serialver
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68656 Jun 3 2011 servertool
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 tnameserv
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 68640 Jun 3 2011 unpack200
newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 18th, 2015, 12:08 am

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands

What does

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands/java -version

tell you?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support & Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron