Create account / Log in

Connecting gaming pieces ? - RFE:1611311

Suggestions for additional features for the module editor and Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Postby mehrunes » June 3rd, 2008, 9:25 pm

I would be eager to try a beta with this out. If it works, I'll restart modding the fantasy module. At the moment it's not worth the work.
Apologize my bad english - I'm not a native speaker. ;)
mehrunes

Postby ghoust » June 25th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Just an update to let you know, Nearly finished the GroupRotator which allows rotation of all pieces of a group around arbitrary pivot points displaying an arc for degree visualization and the length of the rotation in board units.
ghoust

Postby topcat » August 8th, 2008, 2:22 pm

ghoust wrote:Just an update to let you know, Nearly finished the GroupRotator which allows rotation of all pieces of a group around arbitrary pivot points displaying an arc for degree visualization and the length of the rotation in board units.
Any further updates on this? I could definitely use this in the DBMM module I am working on.
topcat

Postby ghoust » August 11th, 2008, 5:31 pm

I'll post a link to the source and compiled binaries in the next days..

what bothers me at the moment is that the movement messages for the single pieces just dispolay offboard as a location and not the coordinates.

I'm checking if all works fine with load/save + logging at the moment before finishing the remaining tasks.
ghoust

Connecting gaming pieces ? - RFE:1611311

Postby rk » August 11th, 2008, 8:55 pm

When this is finished, I'd love to integrate it into the core engine for v3.2.

rk

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
rk
Site Admin

Postby ghoust » August 18th, 2008, 6:31 pm

sorry for the delay, been working on a different module the last days.

you can download the testing mod from here:

www.fightingchaos.com/vassal/battle/warhammer.mod

the source for the rotation and grouping is here:

www.fightingchaos.com/vassal/battle/warhammer_src.zip

basically I use the setup window to setup my troops in rank and file format, group them and the drag the over to the battlefield, there you can move the whole group a fixed distance, rotate the whole pack, etc..

the rotation at the moment works with three clicks, first click is for the pivot point (a corner of your pieces for example) second click is for the length of the pivot,the third click starts rotation

I'd like a feedback if it is a clean setup or some portions should be changed.

Open:
is movement correct (I see move messages to offboard only)
is load/safe correct (at load safe the pieces should be saved individually)
angles depending on a units variable not degrees shown
correction of the angle displaying depending if you want rotate CW or CCW (can be calculated based on center of group)
check if group center is updated on move of group

it's still not finished, but as the warhammer campaign module is finished I should have more time to finish this one
ghoust

Postby ghoust » August 18th, 2008, 9:22 pm

hmm forgot to package a rewrite of imageop for the rotation stuff, so it will not work, will provida a new package and the source of the file too tomorrow..
sorry for the inconvenience..
a warhammer node campaign mod at http://www.fightingchaos.com/vassal/campaign
ghoust

Postby topcat » August 21st, 2008, 10:15 am

ghoust wrote:hmm forgot to package a rewrite of imageop for the rotation stuff, so it will not work, will provida a new package and the source of the file too tomorrow..
sorry for the inconvenience..

Have you added this? Will it work now?
topcat

Postby ghoust » August 24th, 2008, 7:39 pm

I did not forget it :-( it just works only with the new 3.1, using beta1-3 will do it..
ghoust

Postby ghoust » August 26th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Updated open items:
open - is movement correct (I see move messages to offboard only)
in progress - is load/safe correct (at load safe the pieces should be saved individually)
fixed - angles depending on a units variable not degrees shown
fixed -correction of the angle displaying depending if you want rotate CW or CCW (can be calculated based on center of group)
fixed - check if group center is updated on move of group

at the moment save load nearly finished, not sure if movement is my fault, as I have seen this behavior on other maps with normal stacks too.. (pieceXY moved to Offboard)
ghoust

Postby IrishBouzouki » August 26th, 2008, 10:57 pm

this is only perhaps tangentially related, but I would imagine something else you would really want to play miniatures on Vassal would also be to have the moves stop when they "bump" into another piece.

having tried to program this into a dot-net app I can assure you it is a pain. but the results would be worth it, and maybe one of the devs knows a better way, and under java, to make it work.
IrishBouzouki

Postby lesse » August 27th, 2008, 3:30 pm

hi,

your class is nearly exactly what i need for the game I'm working on (Dungeon Twister). May I add a feature request?

Is it possible to include:
  • A method to release (ungroup) a group
  • A method to rotate the pieces for a fixed amount around their center (like the basic rotate function specifying the step size... ie 4 steps = 90° per step)
lesse

Postby ghoust » August 27th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Hi lesse,

I'll see what I can do, regard it as added to the features to be done, as I thought about them also ;-)

Updated open items:
open - is movement reporting correct (I see move messages to offboard only, rotations not reported at all (also in normal rotator code))
fixed - load/safe correct ?
fixed - correction of the angle displaying depending if you want rotate CW or CCW (can be calculated based on center of group)
open - ungroup command
open - rotate pieces in group (simulate trun left turn right and be consistent in angle) by X degree
open - refactor to own namespace, not VASSAL

Code on website is not updated so far. Will be on vacation from friday on, which should give me some time to handle one or two of the open points.
ghoust

Postby lesse » August 28th, 2008, 10:02 am

lesse

Postby ghoust » September 16th, 2008, 5:40 pm

I'm back, and have fixed all open items but one. movement reporting, which seems to be not mission critical. rotate pieces to let them turn was no task at all as this can be done via can pivot.

I'll update the download packages in the next days. If somebody did base his mod work on then you must tweak the paths in your build file and replace the classes. If need of help on doing so, drop me a line, but I don't think anybody did extend on a alpha release.

The code is now in pre gold. Meaning I will no longer add features but concentrate back on the warhammer battle mod. bugfixes will of course be considered ;-)

Updated open items:
open - is movement reporting correct (I see move messages to offboard only, rotations not reported at all (also in normal rotator code))
fixed - load/safe correct ?
fixed - correction of the angle displaying depending if you want rotate CW or CCW (can be calculated based on center of group)
fixed - ungroup command
fixed- rotate pieces in group (simulate trun left turn right and be consistent in angle) by X degree
fixed - refactor to own namespace, not VASSAL
ghoust

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests