Create account / Log in

Swing Look And Feel

Suggestions for additional features for the module editor and Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: Swing Look And Feel

Postby uckelman » July 5th, 2020, 11:04 pm

I replied before I got to the end of the messages. Hmm. Will have to think about this. I'm not a fan of adding preferences; I'd been hoping the Windows LaF would be obviously better so we could just switch to it...
uckelman
Site Admin

Postby Cattlesquat » July 5th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Meanwhile I'm in favor of referring to it in the future as Windows UAF. You know, for "Ugly AF" :D
Cattlesquat

Postby Flint1b » July 6th, 2020, 1:36 am

I'll play the role of the heretic troublemaker and throw in a third option - we could roll our own "Vassal LAF" :D

By "we" I mean someone, not me, I'm a backend dev at heart, I mean I could help prepare the code structures for this but if I get to design the actual pixels on the screen Vassal will probably lose 95% of the users, they will never come anywhere close to a computer screen again, some might end up in a hospital with a heart attack..
Flint1b

Postby fcolmenarez » July 6th, 2020, 2:24 am

Meanwhile I find the regular LAF "Ugly as Fuck" it's a preference thing. Here is something that bugs me:

JLAF-1.png
Swing LAF
JLAF-1.png (33.34 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

The spacing and the misalignment is utterly jarring between the map toolbar buttons and the module toolbars.

This does not happen in WLAF I have a nice ordered row of icons that serve as buttons. There are no frames BUT I don't put text next to icons.

WLAF-1.png
Windows LAF
WLAF-1.png (35.24 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

When it comes to modern UI design toolbar buttons are usually purely icons, almost never text. Also all icons are usually the same size to guarantee uniformity across the toolbar. You use tool-tips to explain functions. Text just gobbles up real estate you can use for other useful functions.

Affinity-Designer-Toolbar.png
Affinity Designer
Affinity-Designer-Toolbar.png (23 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

Funny enough what Cattlesquat finds terrible for the right-click menus I find it an improvement (if we ever support icons now there's a place for them), the spacing is wider and more readable and uniform (in SLAF the popup menu size depends entirely on the amount of text making for distorted popups everywhere). In the windows example, all that's missing is to right-justify the keyboard shortcuts so they all align.

I still haven't figured out why I can't make 3.3.1 run under System Look and Feel with the swing.properties file OR the command line -D options. I don't recommend using WLAF as the default because folks are very much used to a 20 year old design. I'm probably a heathen demon spawn. I'll eventually find a way to put WLAF back on with a property or something,

But it would be nice to simply have it as a preference.
fcolmenarez

Postby Cattlesquat » July 6th, 2020, 3:38 am

Oh yeah I'm violently in agreement with Francisco that it would be best to just have preference. Far be it from me to keep the author of the awesome Empire of the Sun module from having his icons the way he likes them! I just don't want to choke on all the hate email from PoG guys :)
Cattlesquat

Postby fcolmenarez » July 6th, 2020, 5:03 am

I would not wish hate mail on anyone. For now I'm running vassal with a batch file using a Java 14 JDK distribution. One day maybe I'll write my own toolbar. Thanks for the kind words on the module. I'm finding more stuff to improve. For the next revision I'm adding the card zoomer from Twilight Struggle.
fcolmenarez

Previous

Return to Feature Requests