Create account / Log in

Modul Editor: Drag&Drop, Selections, Shortcuts

Suggestions for additional features for the module editor and Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Modul Editor: Drag&Drop, Selections, Shortcuts

Postby Dark Scipio » March 21st, 2008, 10:28 pm

Editing Modules would be much easier with:

-Drag & Drop
-Selections (shift/ctrl+click)
- Shortcuts (ctrl-x for cut, ctrl-v for paste etc.)

Sorry if there is already a thread, I could not find it.
http://www.diewaldseite.de
http://www.therainforestsite.com
Help the rainforest with a free click.
User avatar
Dark Scipio
 
Posts: 37
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 8:35 am

Modul Editor: Drag&Drop, Selections, Shortcuts

Postby mkiefte » March 21st, 2008, 10:32 pm

There is cut an paste for the component tree. I'd be a little wary of drag and drop though. I'm not sure what shift/ctrl+click means. The shortcuts are conceivably very easy to do.

- M.

On 21/03/2008, Dark Scipio <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)> wrote:
Editing Modules would be much easier with:

-Drag & Drop
-Selections (shift/ctrl+click)
- Shortcuts (ctrl-x for cut, ctrl-v for paste etc.)

Sorry if there is already a thread, I could not find it.

------------------------
http://www.diewaldseite.de
http://www.therainforestsite.com
Help the rainforest with a free click.









Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
User avatar
mkiefte
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: January 5th, 2008, 1:29 am
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Modul Editor: Drag&Drop, Selections, Shortcuts

Postby meng » March 21st, 2008, 10:40 pm

Dark Scipio wrote:Editing Modules would be much easier with:

-Drag & Drop
-Selections (shift/ctrl+click)
- Shortcuts (ctrl-x for cut, ctrl-v for paste etc.)

Sorry if there is already a thread, I could not find it.

Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V all work - have you tried them?
Selections - by which I think you mean MULTIPLE selections - don't work. Admittedly, that is a bummer. If I really need to modify a lot of items as a batch, though, it's much easier to open the buildFile and edit the XML (is it XML? sure looks like it to my inexpert eye) directly.
meng
 
Posts: 124
Joined: January 14th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Dark Scipio » March 21st, 2008, 10:44 pm

I saw no shortcut, so I didn`t even tried. :roll:

Thank you.

Multiple selections would be useful, for example copy something from a list into a panel.

By the way: Is it possible to include the feature that you could edit objects (edit a tabbed panel so you could make a scroll list out of it).

Thanks to the hints. I will try out to open the build file. I will find out which it is and how to edit it?
http://www.diewaldseite.de
http://www.therainforestsite.com
Help the rainforest with a free click.
User avatar
Dark Scipio
 
Posts: 37
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 8:35 am

Modul Editor: Drag&Drop, Selections, Shortcuts

Postby mkiefte » March 21st, 2008, 10:45 pm

There is something to be said for editing the buildFile in a text editor. In fact, that's your only option for ZunTzu which otherwise does not have a module editor!

- M.

On 21/03/2008, meng <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)> wrote:

Dark Scipio wrote:
Editing Modules would be much easier with:

-Drag & Drop
-Selections (shift/ctrl+click)
- Shortcuts (ctrl-x for cut, ctrl-v for paste etc.)

Sorry if there is already a thread, I could not find it.


Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V all work - have you tried them?
Selections - by which I think you mean MULTIPLE selections - don't work. Admittedly, that is a bummer. If I really need to modify a lot of items as a batch, though, it's much easier to open the buildFile and edit the XML (is it XML? sure looks like it to my inexpert eye) directly.










Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
User avatar
mkiefte
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: January 5th, 2008, 1:29 am
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Modul Editor: Drag&Drop, Selections, Shortcuts

Postby mkiefte » March 21st, 2008, 10:53 pm

Thanks to the hints. I will try out to open the build file. I will find out which it is and how to edit it?


It's not for the feint of heart. The module is a zip file, so browse the zip file. In the top-level directory, there's a file called buildFile. Open it in a text editor (NOT a word processor). Take a look at a very simple module. If you know how XML works, you'll get the idea.

For the vast majority of things, I don't recommend editing the buildFile. But it's good for doing very repetitive tasks like adding a new prototype to hundreds of pieces.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
User avatar
mkiefte
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: January 5th, 2008, 1:29 am
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Postby meng » March 21st, 2008, 11:16 pm

Dark Scipio wrote:By the way: Is it possible to include the feature that you could edit objects (edit a tabbed panel so you could make a scroll list out of it).

In terms of priorities, I would consider this feature (e.g. convert from tabbed panel to scrollable list) more important than drag-and-drop.
meng
 
Posts: 124
Joined: January 14th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Dark Scipio » March 22nd, 2008, 9:14 am

meng wrote:
Dark Scipio wrote:By the way: Is it possible to include the feature that you could edit objects (edit a tabbed panel so you could make a scroll list out of it).

In terms of priorities, I would consider this feature (e.g. convert from tabbed panel to scrollable list) more important than drag-and-drop.


Me too. :wink:
http://www.diewaldseite.de
http://www.therainforestsite.com
Help the rainforest with a free click.
User avatar
Dark Scipio
 
Posts: 37
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 8:35 am


Return to Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest