Create account / Log in

calculator ?

Suggestions for additional features for the module editor and Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

calculator ?

Postby dott.Piergiorgio » December 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm

First of all, thank for this piece of free/OS software, for me is a major god(dess)send, because, I live together with the worst menace for hex and miniature wargaming: a large feline colony of eight cats. Now I can play near every wargame I own 8)

only one issue (the main reason of this initial post...): the lack of an integrated and/or pop-up calculator, whose is felt during the obvious moment; all is needed is a four-operation calculator (summing and dividing, mainly...)

sorry if is a FAR (Frequently Asked Feature) :oops: but I guess that calculating the odds of 29/13 isn't a thing whose came off the mind.... VASSAL has dice rollers and digital CRTs, why not doing the last step in ease of use ? :idea:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

ps yes, an Italian whose dabble with wargames; I reckon that is a rara avis, but exists...
dott.Piergiorgio
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Re: calculator ?

Postby uckelman » December 20th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Thus spake "dott.Piergiorgio":
> First of all, thank for this piece of free/OS software, for me is a
> major god(dess)send, because, I live together with the worst menace for
> hex and miniature wargaming: a large feline colony of eight cats. Now I
> can play near every wargame I own 8)
>
> only one issue (the main reason of this initial post...): the lack of an
> integrated and/or pop-up calculator, whose is felt during the obvious
> moment; all is needed is a four-operation calculator (summing and
> dividing, mainly...)
>
> sorry if is a FAR (Frequently Asked Feature) :oops: but I guess that
> calculating the odds of 29/13 isn't a thing whose came off the mind....
> VASSAL has dice rollers and digital CRTs, why not doing the last step in
> ease of use ? :idea:
>
> Best regards from Italy,
> dott. Piergiorgio.
>
> ps yes, an Italian whose dabble with wargames; I reckon that is a rara
> avis, but exists...

Does your OS not come with a calculator? If so, why is it inadequate?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8985
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: calculator ?

Postby dott.Piergiorgio » December 20th, 2012, 4:01 pm

I use Linux, so I have dozens of calculators, but is a bit annoying doing a few more window or desktop juggling... it's only a convenience, I can obviously keep a calc window, but isn't that big thing, you can put it into "bells & wisthles" list... :wink:
dott.Piergiorgio
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Re: calculator ?

Postby uckelman » December 25th, 2012, 2:06 am

Thus spake "dott.Piergiorgio":
> I use Linux, so I have dozens of calculators, but is a bit annoying
> doing a few more window or desktop juggling... it's only a convenience,
> I can obviously keep a calc window, but isn't that big thing, you can
> put it into "bells & wisthles" list... :wink:

Ok. The point I would argue is that we'll never make a calculator
better than the best one you have access to as a stand-alone app.


--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8985
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: calculator ?

Postby dott.Piergiorgio » December 26th, 2012, 9:17 am

for sure I don't fire up octave or maxima for calculating odds :D actually, your point is valid; if you happen to implement a four operation calculator as pastime/killing time, you're free of add it to Vassal codebase ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.
dott.Piergiorgio
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 12:56 pm


Return to Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron