Create account / Log in

Test builds for 3.3.0

Discussion area for the development team.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby bdgza » April 10th, 2020, 9:46 am

3.3.0-svn9344 macOS iMac 5K (Retina), screen scaled resolution.

Playing a game of Memoir '44 against myself, and when my 'opponent' moves on the other VASSAL client it draws a red outline of his moved unit in the wrong place on my VASSAL client. This only appears when the remote opponent has moved.

The (too small) red outline drawn on the river on the top left near the Pegasus Bridge is from my opponent moving a unit near the Orne river on the right:
Image

The Windows client on the non-HiDPI display draws correctly when I move something on the Mac.
bdgza
 
Posts: 329
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:51 am

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 1:27 pm

ClaudioC wrote:I found another HDPI Scaling issue. Maybe you are already aware of it:
In Vietnam 1965/1975 version 4.3.4 (http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i ... 4.3.4.vmod)
You have a button that overlays s string of 1hex area of effects to mark a boundary. (You make them appear with the 2 buttons (red/blue squares) to the right of the 1D6 and 2D6 buttons.
At 100% these overlay appears in the correct manner. At 125% it appears somewhere else (at the 100% position I think).

I messed with this module a bit in 3.2.17 and the most recent test build and wasn't able to see what those buttons do. What are the steps for triggering this?
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I might have found a solution to the problem of dragging between screens with different pixel scaling. (It occurred to me that there may also be a similar problem on systems where you can change the pixel scaling on the fly, which I guess is possible on Windows, and what I'm working on would solve that problem as well.)

What's with the giant grey burritos east of Pegasus Bridge?
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby Tim M » April 10th, 2020, 3:53 pm

This ought to be good...Screen shot please!
On Friday, April 10, 2020, 10:35:04 AM CDT, uckelman wrote:

I might have found a solution to the problem of dragging between screens
with different pixel scaling. (It occurred to me that there may also be
a similar problem on systems where you can change the pixel scaling on
the fly, which I guess is possible on Windows, and what I'm working on
would solve that problem as well.)

What's with the giant grey burritos east of Pegasus Bridge?

_______________________________________________
Read this topic online here:
viewtopic.php?p=59193#p59193
Tim,
Vassal Uber Geek/Guru

Problems? post your OS, Physical Mem, version of Vassal and Java plus the Module in question.
No developer can help with out that info, thx!
User avatar
Tim M
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby JoelCFC25 » April 10th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Rolls of barbed wire!
JoelCFC25
 
Posts: 738
Joined: October 12th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Location: Minnetrista, MN

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby bdgza » April 10th, 2020, 5:56 pm

uckelman wrote:I might have found a solution to the problem of dragging between screens with different pixel scaling. (It occurred to me that there may also be a similar problem on systems where you can change the pixel scaling on the fly, which I guess is possible on Windows, and what I'm working on would solve that problem as well.)

What's with the giant grey burritos east of Pegasus Bridge?


The giant grey burritos are rolls of barbed wire. The boardgame comes with pieces like this in green and blue to represent wire positions for each side. In the Memoir '44 Online game they are these grey ones.

Image
bdgza
 
Posts: 329
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:51 am

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm

bdgza wrote:The giant grey burritos are rolls of barbed wire. The boardgame comes with pieces like this in green and blue to represent wire positions for each side. In the Memoir '44 Online game they are these grey ones.


Ha! This made me laugh. I needed a laugh.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 8:22 pm

I've uploaded a test build 3.3.0-svn9345-dynamic_scale: http://www.vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

This might solve the problem of dragging windows between screens with different scale factors, and also might give a correct result if you can change the scale factor on a screen while VASSAL is running.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby bdgza » April 10th, 2020, 9:04 pm

3.3.0-svn9345 solves the scale factor problem, I can drag the window back and forth and it adjusts correctly. Selection on the map is also correct.

On the non-Retina display the drag rectangle is correct. On the Retina (scaled) display the drag rectangle is still drawn wrong.
bdgza
 
Posts: 329
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:51 am

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Thus spake bdgza:
> 3.3.0-svn9345 solves the scale factor problem, I can drag the window
> back and forth and it adjusts correctly. Selection on the map is also
> correct.

Great. Thanks for testing.

The difference between this and the previous build is that the system
scale factor is fetched for each reapaint, so if it changes the next
repaint will pick that up.

> On the non-Retina display the drag rectangle is correct. On the Retina
> (scaled) display the drag rectangle is still drawn wrong.

I'll look at this next.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby ClaudioC » April 10th, 2020, 9:53 pm

uckelman wrote:
ClaudioC wrote:I found another HDPI Scaling issue. Maybe you are already aware of it:
In Vietnam 1965/1975 version 4.3.4 (http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i ... 4.3.4.vmod)
You have a button that overlays s string of 1hex area of effects to mark a boundary. (You make them appear with the 2 buttons (red/blue squares) to the right of the 1D6 and 2D6 buttons.
At 100% these overlay appears in the correct manner. At 125% it appears somewhere else (at the 100% position I think).

I messed with this module a bit in 3.2.17 and the most recent test build and wasn't able to see what those buttons do. What are the steps for triggering this?


I think you opened a short scenario (like First Volley). These buttons only work with the Campaign scenario. Use the file I attach here to reproduce, it is a vlog of a campaing game. I managed to see the issue with that one.

Also, I have more information on the issue. It does not occur for all kinds of Area of Effects. I initially said it might be to a 0 radius, but looking again I found the same issue in The Longest Day (unpublished module) for a radius of 5. But what was common in both cases and not present in another area of effect in Vietnam is that the ones that cause the issue have the "Use Map Shading?" checkbox set. So the issue might be in how these "Map Shadings" handle the drawing of the shade vs how the Area of Effect without Map Shading do.

Kr
Claudio
Attachments
VietnamTestAreaOfEffectIssue.vlog
(154.93 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
User avatar
ClaudioC
 
Posts: 57
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 10:23 pm

bdgza wrote:3.3.0-svn9344 macOS iMac 5K (Retina), screen scaled resolution.

Playing a game of Memoir '44 against myself, and when my 'opponent' moves on the other VASSAL client it draws a red outline of his moved unit in the wrong place on my VASSAL client. This only appears when the remote opponent has moved.

The (too small) red outline drawn on the river on the top left near the Pegasus Bridge is from my opponent moving a unit near the Orne river on the right:

Does 3.3.0-svn9346 fix the last moved highlighter for you?
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 10:48 pm

ClaudioC wrote:Also, I have more information on the issue. It does not occur for all kinds of Area of Effects. I initially said it might be to a 0 radius, but looking again I found the same issue in The Longest Day (unpublished module) for a radius of 5. But what was common in both cases and not present in another area of effect in Vietnam is that the ones that cause the issue have the "Use Map Shading?" checkbox set. So the issue might be in how these "Map Shadings" handle the drawing of the shade vs how the Area of Effect without Map Shading do.

This helped me find the problem, which was in MapShader.

Try 3.3.0-svn9347.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby uckelman » April 10th, 2020, 11:34 pm

I've re-uploaded 3.3.0-svn9347. If you're trying it after I posted this message, then it should also contain a fix for the selection rectangle.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Test builds for 3.3.0

Postby ClaudioC » April 11th, 2020, 8:36 am

Hello
The Area of Effect / Map Shading bug does not appear anymore in Vietnam. Thank you.
Kr
Claudio
User avatar
ClaudioC
 
Posts: 57
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 6:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Developers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests