Create account / Log in

Starting counters 30 degrees off facing to face hexspar

Talk about module design ideas and techniques.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Starting counters 30 degrees off facing to face hexspar

Postby ChuckS » December 6th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Ok only way I could figure this out was to rotate the counter 30 degrees before saving the module then adding a second rotation using a second set of keystrokes and adding a trigger looking for the first 2 keystrokes of the rotation.

So in effect when you ctrl open bracket 1 time it does it twice so 60 degrees of rotation happens each time on a 30 degree setup.

That being said is there another way this can be done?
ChuckS

Re: Starting counters 30 degrees off facing to face hexspar

Postby PunTheHun » December 7th, 2017, 6:02 am

Is there a requirement that the counter is able to point to 0/90/180/270 degrees?
Lutz Pietschker – BGG PunTheHun
Berlin, Germany
PunTheHun

Postby ChuckS » December 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm

No I would rather it start 30 degrees off and rotate 60 so it always faces a hex spar. This is for the old SPI Wellington's Victory map that units all face the spar or vertex between the hexsides. I'm a nugget vassal designer. So anything you can suggest would be great! My work around works but I don't like it.
ChuckS

Postby PunTheHun » December 7th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Well, if the counters are created from an image (rather than the modular design with VASSAL template elements) my first idea was to rotate the image before creating the counter; use PNG and make sure that the corners are transparent (I can do that in batch mode if you have difficulties). Then the counter looks rotated at 0° VASSAL rotation.
I guess your approach would also work well: Define 2 rotations, one of them a 30° without a menu text, but with some obscure key command (you are aware that you can enter any text as a key command? just retype the first 2 characters gobbled up by VASSAL), the other the normal 60° rotation with menu text & a key command like CTRL-R. Then create a Startup Global Command that sends an arbitrary key command (I use the string "StartupCmd" for that purpose). A dummy piece in an at-start-stack can listen for that command and create a Global Hotkey from it; the Global Hotkey would be the string you used for the obscure initial rotation. You can add more such hotkey traits to the dummy piece to initiate other at-startup events.
Lutz Pietschker – BGG PunTheHun
Berlin, Germany
PunTheHun

Postby bubulle » December 7th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Turn the map!
bubulle

Postby ChuckS » December 9th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Hmm either of those would be ocd generation lol
ChuckS

Return to Module Design