Create account / Log in

Conditional restriced access

Talk about module design ideas and techniques.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Conditional restriced access

Postby Candal93 » October 22nd, 2020, 10:32 am

Hello to everyone, I didn't find a "present yourself" section on this forum so this is my first post here.

I tried on my own to solve a problem with card restricted access but I didn't manage to solve it.
I have a bunch of cards that I want to collect in game palettes, in order that players can pick them and add to their deck (like Mage wars module).

I created a prototype for my cards. They can move on a board, sent to a specific region and other controls like return to deck etc etc.
My problem is that I want to restrict access to cards belonging to a deck or player, and I'd like to create a single prototype condition that seek for player or deck as a restriction.

So, to make it more clear, I have a card collection, in which any player can pick cards to add to its deck. The restriction then should be applied afterwards, when a card belongs to a deck or in some way can be considered bounded to a specific player.

Sorry if the solution is trivial, I solved a lot of little problems on my own but for this I'm a bit tired and I'd like some help.

Thanks in advance
Candal93

Re: Conditional restriced access

Postby m3tan » October 23rd, 2020, 2:08 pm

You'll need to add a Dynamic Property (DP) trait to the Prototype that is ABOVE the traits that allow a player to keep or discard cards. I'd name that DP "Owner" and add Key Commands to directly set its value to PlayerSide. So for instance, if I had a Send to Location command CTRL-K that allows a player to keep a card, I'd add a matching CTRL-K Key Command in that DP to change the value of Owner to PlayerSide. Likewise, if you have a Key Command that discards a card, let's say CTRL-D, you'd add a matching CTRL-D command in the DP to change the value of Owner to its starting value, which is usually blank "" or something like "None".
m3tan

Re: Conditional restriced access

Postby Candal93 » October 25th, 2020, 9:31 am

Thank you for your answer. As soon as I'll get back to work on the game I'll try this option :)
Candal93

Return to Module Design