Create account / Log in

Kingmaker ... Anyone?

Post here if you're looking for opponents for both live and PBEM Vassal games.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Kingmaker ... Anyone?

Postby Morgoth » August 9th, 2014, 9:48 am

Hi V-Gamers

I'm new to vassal and looking for a game of Kingmaker if someone can show me the ropes on how too play!?

I'm available most days of the week due to being stuck to the work PC, so let me know,

Thanks, Walts (aka Joe)
Aka: Joe Gans
eMail: joe.gans@hotmail.com
Morgoth

Re: Kingmaker ... Anyone?

Postby Stiglr » August 17th, 2014, 11:53 pm

If you can manage to wrangle four or more, and we can make up some kind of meeting schedule, i'd like nothing better than to engage in some serious backstabbing and rabble rousing in the English countryside.
Stiglr

Postby Fritzstein » August 18th, 2014, 2:16 am

Hello Morgoth,

I would be interested in a game of Kingmaker.

Cheers,
Fritzstein
Fritzstein

Postby Morgoth » August 18th, 2014, 8:24 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for posting. Along with Shaun78, that makes four of us. Our problem is timetable.

I'm in Scotland, UK (GMT time).
Shaun78's in US (5 hrs behind me).

What about you guys ... what side of the pond are you on so we can workout a day for a game.

Also, rules ... I've only recently picked up the game again and not had a chance to play. The 1974 game (1st/2nd ed rules?) ... so we might need to agree rules, updates & variants.

I've no experience with Vassal in general, so if someone wants to show me the interface as a 1-Vs-1, that would be great,

Thanks, Walts
Morgoth

Postby Stiglr » August 19th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Yikes..... I'm in USA on the Pacific coast, so that's +8 or 9 hours, depending on which side of Daylight Savings Time we're on.

That will make long get-togethers problematic. But, perhaps not impossible.

I am a Prem League football fan, so I'm used to getting up at odd hours on weekends to catch a game. But I'm not sure if weekdays would work....
Stiglr

Kingmaker ... Game date/Time?

Postby Morgoth » August 19th, 2014, 8:15 pm

As I'm in the UK and look to be the odd one out of time with the US, I'll accommodate you guys.

My problem is that I've never played on Vassal, so Shaun78 has offered to show me how to play the game interface, but not till the 28th. Ideally, if anyone else can give me a 1-Vs-1 to get to know how Vassal works, then please let me know, thanks.

At the mo, Shaun78 is looking at the weekend of the 30th as he has other obligations, so say, for arguments sake, we arrange to play on Sunday 31st @ 7pm GMT, I think we'll be able to get a game in? That way, it's morning/afternoon for the US. I've friends in Florida, so used to the time-shifts. If however, you can only play at nighttime, then I'll catch a sleep and we can start at 3AM?

Like I said, I'm happy to accommodate the spread of US timetables ... Walts
Morgoth

Postby Stiglr » August 20th, 2014, 12:07 am

That particular weekend is bad for me (there's a golf tournament in our area and Sunday is the final day; I'll likely be there all day).

But, if that particular day is used to show our UK friend the ropes with using Vassal, that'd still be a good use of time... then we can all convene on some other weekend(s) this fall and see if we can't do this!
Stiglr

Kingmaker ... This Weekend?

Postby Morgoth » August 20th, 2014, 4:45 pm

I am at a loose end this weekend if anyone can
spare a couple of hours showing me
how Vassal actually works within
the KingMaker game?

Walts
Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » August 27th, 2014, 4:22 pm

War & Peace anyone ...

>>> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7591

... go on, you know u want too! ... Walts
Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » August 30th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Hi Guys

I'd managed to catchup with Shaun on Thurs night and enjoyed getting to grips with Vassal ... thanks Shaun! Buuuuut, we had a few issues ...

1] Game versions
    I've the 1974 game with the very basic rules. Shaun has 1976, and from what I understand, there's been others, so we need to agree rules we want to play.

2] Diff boards
    Looking at the module, you'll know what's there, but I've the original board and various ports are missing ...

>>> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... aa3f487e49

3] Bugs
    Whilst playing, we produced duplicate Lords? I've posted a technical bug in the correct forum ... has anyone had this before?
... I'd like to stick with this original board as the ports are more defined. Was there anything else diff between boards?

So, timeline? I'm happy to make time for you guys ... (GMT) Thurs, Fri & Sat nights. I understand we're looking at weeks away, so no rush while we arrange/discuss things.

Discuss below, or should we create a new thread to discuss things?

Thanks, Walts
Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » September 6th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Hi Guys

Back again! Works been a bit crazy, but I know I'll be able to make time on the following days ...

Friday, 3rd Oct (GMT 8pm onwards)
Sat, 4th Oct (GMT Anytime!)

... I've updated the board, which can be downloaded in it's zipped form ...

>>> http://www.arranwargamesclub.net/km/KingmakerWMG.zip

... so please download & rename file with a vmod extension,

Any dreamers out their that thing they can be king! ;o]

Walts
Morgoth

Postby Stiglr » September 7th, 2014, 12:28 am

Got the updated (regressed?) board module version; cheers. Any subtle changes I might notice that affect play?

I also fiddled around a bit with the game offline in the mean time. One thing I found very frustrating was my inability to consistently control stacks of Crown Cards. It is always best to observe the order, with Noble/Title/Office/Religious Post/ and then whatever mix of towns controlled, ships owned, mercenaries and the like. But, as I tried to tuck cards in specific orders, I got sometimes frustrating results. Cards would NOT go under the cards I wanted them to at times (and it was not because I was, say, trying to place a title card under an already titled noble.) Are there any keystrokes or methods used for stacking? Is a mouse completely necessary (as I sometimes try to just use a laptop with a 2-button finger pad, minus a scrolling wheel). I've had similar issues managing stacks of unit counters in other VASSAL modules.
Stiglr

Postby Morgoth » September 7th, 2014, 6:37 am

Hi Stiglr

Thanks for ur feedback. "Subtle changes" ... that's what I'm not sure about between the various (5!) versions. If we use BGG as a point of ref ...

>>> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker (scroll down to Versions)

... you will see my version is the original box (1974 version by Ariel Games) and I'm not to clued up on what the differences between the rules & boards are? One obvious diff between mine and the newer board was the design of the ports, which gave ships better passage out to sea. Also, Preston port (C 2/3) was missing.

An example of this is that if you where docked at Swansea (E/F 2) on my board, the port is clearly marked as being connected to the body of sea south of it, so u could goto that sea square straight away, but on the other board, you couldn't ... so ships suffered extra movements!

All I can say to players is look closely at your own boards and compare against the one I've posted and I'll physically edit anything you think is not right, thanks.

Card stack control & order: Yeah, it did take me a good while to get a basic understanding of this, including moving them about, and as you say, should be automatically sorted in correct order when under a lord. My understanding of this order (and the way we both play it [OCD anyone!] ) should be ...

>>> Lord (Top Card)
>>> Title (If Lord has none!)
>>> Office
>>> All the rest (usually any order, I think ... bishops, towns, ships, merc's ... anything else?)

... based on odd games we've recently had. I'll double check later in the day.

I'm not to clued up on Vassal Modules in general, but I work in IT and like a challenge, so I'll look into sorting orders and see what I come back with. I know u can set commands against the Function Keys (F1 - F12), maybe that would be the way to go for a quick sort within a set of cards that are selected? I'll look into it and get back you.

Like i said, Me & Shaun78 are looking for players to commit to the days above ... interested?

Walts
Morgoth

Postby Stiglr » September 7th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Yes, definitely; I'm keeping an eye out for the date, and hope I can work it around my sleep schedule :D

One question I have is, Will you plan on using the basic or advanced combat system? I've always just totalled all strength, came up with one ratio and picked a card for the result (or the treachery that might change the odds). I'd need to know that ahead of time, so that I could learn the advanced "lines" method if necessary.

Also, it seems your custom vmod uses all the variant cards, correct? That suits me fine, although I will have to re-familiarize myself with all of them.
Stiglr

Postby Morgoth » September 7th, 2014, 7:40 pm

I only know the rules that came with my 1974 rules, and whilst playing online before, the chap mentioned using the Plantagenet(?) card ... I didn't have a clue what he was talking about! :) So yes, we do need to look & agree rules & cards that can come into play ... as u say Treachery, King's pardon, Assassination, etc ... all of which I've no idea how they play.

If I was to be honest, Kingmaker can be a long game, so the more rules we add to speed up the game, i.e. kill off Lords!, the happier I would be ... as long as I knew the rule was there! I'm sure that will bite me in the ass in days to come! :(

I need to have a look at BGG and see what rules they have about the place ... I'm sure we could abbreviate them onto a Quick-Play-Sheet ... Walts
Morgoth

Next

Return to Opponents Wanted