Create account / Log in

Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin Hood

Topics related to Vassal game modules.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin Hood

Postby Quadko » December 1st, 2014, 8:16 pm

I'm brand new to VASSAL, great work everyone!

Two games in particular that I noticed were Legend of Robin Hood and Cosmic Encounter, great games with modules that have different maps than I have. That's no problem, of course, but I wondered if having alternate maps is something "within" the existing modules or would be a new module entirely?

Cosmic Encounter has many versions and printings, as I understand, so probably there is different art in each version.

And Legend of Robin Hood's "alternate map" was a beautiful fan map from Headless Hollow that I had printed on a poster to play on.

I was mostly curious how this worked in VASSAL with module building, I have neither a burning need nor am requesting the changes be made. Just trying to figure this out and get my head around the VASSAL system while RTFMing. Thanks! :)
Quadko
 
Posts: 10
Joined: December 1st, 2014, 6:53 pm

Re: Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin

Postby uckelman » December 2nd, 2014, 12:02 am

Thus spake Quadko:
> I'm brand new to VASSAL, great work everyone!
>
> Two games in particular that I noticed were Legend of Robin Hood and
> Cosmic Encounter, great games with modules that have different maps than
> I have. That's no problem, of course, but I wondered if having alternate
> maps is something "within" the existing modules or would be a new module
> entirely?
>
> Cosmic Encounter has many versions and printings, as I understand, so
> probably there is different art in each version.
>
> And Legend of Robin Hood's "alternate map" was a beautiful fan map from
> Headless Hollow[1] that I had printed on a poster to play on.

Are these maps with variant graphics, or do they actually change the
games?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin

Postby Quadko » December 2nd, 2014, 5:34 am

Robin Hood is definitely just an artwork update for the existing game. I assume the same for Cosmic Encounter, though they may have adjusted rules through the new printings and editions since they were official releases.
Quadko
 
Posts: 10
Joined: December 1st, 2014, 6:53 pm

Re: Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin

Postby uckelman » December 2nd, 2014, 10:38 pm

Thus spake Quadko:
> Robin Hood is definitely just an artwork update for the existing game. I
> assume the same for Cosmic Encounter, though they may have adjusted
> rules through the new printings and editions since they were official
> releases.

You might contact the maintainers of the existing modules about whether
they'd like to include the alternate artwork. It would be a shame to
fragment whatever community there is around such modules by creating
additional, competing modules.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin

Postby Quadko » December 3rd, 2014, 6:46 pm

I'll definitely do that as it comes up!

Does that mean VASSAL can indeed have artwork alternates for the same board in a module, and the players just pick which board they want to use?

(I checked out my Cosmic Encounter game, and it's different/worse than my memory, so existing boards are way better versions of the same art. Weird - I remembered full color, but it's all black & white. :))
Quadko
 
Posts: 10
Joined: December 1st, 2014, 6:53 pm

Re: Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin

Postby uckelman » December 10th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Thus spake Quadko:
> I'll definitely do that as it comes up!
>
> Does that mean VASSAL can indeed have artwork alternates for the same
> board in a module, and the players just pick which board they want to
> use?

You could do that by setting Maps to have user-selectable Boards, yes.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Newby Q: alternate maps, like for Cosmic Encouter/Robin

Postby i7evil » October 2nd, 2015, 2:17 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I have created a separate module for the 2008 version of Cosmic Encounter, http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... nter_(2008)
i7evil
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 28th, 2015, 10:55 am


Return to Module General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests