Vassal Ladder Site

Not sure - I’ll have to look into that

It does feature a point system (why you put in scores on the report) but how it is used I would have to find out.

I am awaiting a software update which will add ratings (Elo / Glickman), such as found used in chess etc…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

This is a better method of distinguishing players rather than using a more traditional w/l point system especially on a ladder system. As soon as I have it and get it implemented, I will switch over those ladders that wish to use it. It should not affect current w/l records, be retroactive and no downtime

The only one I’ve ever bought was Panzergrenadier “Desert Rats”. No kidding, the map consists of scans of actual carpet. I was so annoyed I whined about it on BGG http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/225406

Thus spake “Tim Franklin”:

C such that N is less than K?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

On Wed, January 23, 2008 2:20 pm, Joel Uckelman wrote:

Shell command pipeline. Coffee, pipe through Nose, redirect output to
Keyboard.

Sorry, too many assumptions about the ubiquity of geek humour :frowning:

Cheers,
Tim.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Tim Franklin”:

Oh, right! I’m a geek in several fields so symbols are heavily overloaded
for me. :slight_smile:

J.

Messages mailing list

On the issue of copyright, I am taking the opportunity of the impending documentation rewrite to remove all references to “intellectual property” which is just a term designed to equate fair use with stealing. We’re intelligent folks (supposedly) so we should be referring to copyright, trademarks and the like.

But I certainly agree that the way to respond to “IP” thugs is to vote with your feet. Yay GMT!

Btw there seems to be a bug:

But Triumph has only won so far.

Edit: I got it, only ranked players losses are calculated so the loser is still unranked and does not count…

Not a bug. This is because that information is based on ranked players only. So because Triumph is currently the only ranked player on his ladder and everyone else is unranked
he qualifies for all of those statistics
If Joe User were to join ladder and lose 2 matches then finally win 1 making him a ranked player and Triumph performs no activity in the meantime, Joe User would automatically replace Triumph with the most losses

Dark Scipio messages@forums.vassalengine.org wrote:

its a super tool this site… An internalization would be great. For French, i can help to translate…

Site is written in php w/ mysql db behind it. There are some things I’d like to see added (like this), so if anyone knows the lingo and wants to contribute drop me a line - I’m only a beginner at this and just poking about in the code so can’t do too much I’m afraid

Sorry but i’m not very in PhP/MySQL… I’m better with Joomla :laughing:

But if you need some translation i can help you on this point…

Can you tell me how the rank is calculated a kind of Elo-system? It seems not to be a win/loss system:

And is it possible to include draw-results?

Your current ladder is an open ladder - not ELO rated, as that code hasn’t been added yet.

An open ladder ranks players as follows

• If the winning player is unranked, then their first win will move them to the bottom of the ranked section. Regardless of who they beat.
• If the winner is ranked, then they will move half way up the ladder to the loser’s position.
• If the winning player is already above the losing player on the ladder, then no change occurs.

Draws and Multiplayer is not possible at the moment. I do have these requests in at support (plus a few of the other things that have been asked for) but software manufacturer seems slow to do things, so I may hire a pro freelancer instead for some faster turn around on this stuff

Hm, so once you reached place 1 you cant be loose it if you quit playing, and to play against a lower ranked opponet has no sense at all (beside the fun of playing).

A bit strange. :slight_smile: But a still nice function.

Correct, but you can change that also.

If you go ahead and enable challenging on your ladder, this allows ranked players to challenge any other ranked player (i.e people above them). This forces players above to defend their position instead of just quitting ‘while ahead’ (if they were #1). The number 2 position will always replace the #1 position if #2 player wins a match

Dark Scipio messages@forums.vassalengine.org wrote:

Oh, thats great. Thanks for your help.

Thats a VERY important rule. Without it the first one to get spot 1 would keep it forever. I suppose this is the case at other ranks where the players is ranked together to. (Example as i is/was ranked 3 in CC:E, winning against Ogre ranked 2 will force us to swap places.)

That bit of information you wrote would be good in the description of open ladder. :wink:

BTW: Do you have a guess for when the Elo will be available? next week, next month, summer :slight_smile:

Is it possible to include a rule, that you always move up one rank, if you win, even if you win against an unranked or lower rank player and are not rank 2?

I just saw that a player has 8 wins in a row but stays on rank 3 (funny thing is that if he would be rank 2 he would have aquired the first rank long ago).

So this rule would be very helpful.

With the current ladder type, not possible.
If Lemartes-Heresy wants to move higher he needs to beat someone above him.

Related:
I now have scripts for ELO ladders, Point based Ladders and w/l percentage
ladders. One of these may be more suitable for your game as opposed to rung
jumping ladder.
I will try to get these new scripts plugged in soon - some technicalities to
work out still before I integrate them so we don’t lose current db stuff and
able to switch things over without problems

Great news Tim. If its easier to implement the Elo by wiping games already played its ok for Ogre and me. (we got most of the games on Combat commander ladder).

I am working on recruiting more players, and think it will be easier if we got ELO instead of open ladder.