Through the Ages TTA two bugs

TTA 2.48 running on Vassal 3.1.14

I’ve played 3 or 4 games in this excellent TTA module for Vassal and have come across two minor bugs.

1. In a 2 player game, there are 3 cards in the civ deck that shouldn’t be there–all government cards. One in age I (monarchy) and two in age II (both government cards). The age III civ cards look good to me.

2. When you play a wonder, it doesn’t charge the cost to take it from the board–it only charges the extra cost based on how many wonders you’ve already built. E.g. it charges 0 for your first wonder when it should charge 1-3 depending on where it is in the card row.

I tried to fix the card problem myself, but I can’t figure out how to open the vsav file without triggering the “who do you want to be” dialog. Is there a trick?

I’ve fixed the first bug. For the record, here are the extra cards. I am close to fixing the second bug, but will be away on vacation until mid-August, so won’t be able to post it until then.

For 2p:
Age 1: Monarchy
Age 2: Consitutional Monarchy, Justice System, Architecture, Republic
Age 3: Engineering, Democracy
For 3p:
Age 1:
Age 2: Republic, Justice System
Age 3: Engineering

For the record, below is the note I sent to neumannium (the author of the TTA module) regarding the wonder bug. It summarizes what I’ve learned so far. A few more hours of testing and I believe I will find definitively what the cause of the bug is…

I wrote a tool to print out your TTA module in a searchable format, indexed by keystroke. See my post in the forums for details.

In the process of doing that, I believe I’m getting closer to narrowing down the cause of the wonder bug. The wonder bug is that it only charges for the cost based on your current # of wonders but ignoring the cards based on the location of the card on the card row.

I still have to do some more testing to completely narrow down the bug, but basically there are two paths that get triggered by a ctrl-a.

First path is as follows. This path works as expected.

PrototypeDefinition name=“PickCard”
TriggerAction Menu “Add Card to Hand” = ctrl A
→ alt ctrl shift A
→ ctrl back quote

CardSlot name=“Colossus”
→ Delete
→ ALT 1 to WonderUC

PieceSlot name=“WonderUC” ALT 1
→ Set WonderUC.WonderUC = 1
→ Report $playerSide$ ($playerName$) has begun work on a Wonder, $Wonder_Name$! *
→ Increment Global.BlueCivil -$BlueWonders$
→ Increment Global.BlueUsedCivil $BlueWonders$
→ Report $playerSide$ ($playerName$) has completed $BlueWonders$ Wonders, so spends an extra $BlueWonders$ Civil action(s) to start construction on $Wonder_Name$ (automatically adjusted). *

Second path is as follows and does not occur when the player takes the card by pressing ctrl-a or right-clicking and selecting “Add Card to Hand” (I’ve just printed the Cost = 1 path; there are similar paths for Cost = 2 and Cost = 3).

PrototypeDefinition name=“AgeACivil”
TriggerAction when ctrl A and Cost = 1 and Wonder = True
→ ALT SEMICOLON
→ CTRL SEMICOLON to WonderUC

PieceSlot name=“WonderUC” CTRL SEMICOLON
→ Increment Global.BlueCivil -1
→ Increment Global.BlueUsedCivil 1

I have a number of theories as to why the second path isn’t getting executed, but will require some testing to completely narrow it down.

Any insight you might have into the problem would be much appreciated.

Ken

With the help of people on the forums, I have found the solution to bug #2, the wonder cost bug. I sent a message to the author of the module indicating how to fix the bug. He hasn’t responded to any of my e-mails for a couple of weeks now, but it’s possible he’s away on vacation. If I don’t hear back from him In a couple of weeks, I’ll either ask if someone else can apply the bugfix, or I will attempt to do it myself. I think I’ve figured out everything about how to cut a new release of a module except for how to get rid of cards from starting decks in the 2p and 3p save games (the best I could do is move them to the discard pile, but there must be a way to remove them from the game entirely…)

For the record, here is the message I sent to Neumannium with instructions for how to fix the Wonder bug:

Neumannium,

After much discussion in the forums, I have finally found the solution to the wonder bug. All you need to do is edit the Age*Civil Prototypes, and move 3 Trigger Actions (called “Trigger when cost = 1”, “Trigger when cost = 2” and "“Trigger when cost = 3” above Prototype - PickCard.

This fixes the bug as described in my earlier message.

Will you make this change and release a new version?

Also, per my other e-mail there are some cards in the starting decks for 2p and 3p that need to be removed.

Thanks,
Ken

P.S. Details about this bugfix can be found here: https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/question-about-delete-and-order/3127/1

I was able to get in touch with him yesterday, so he’s aware of the issue

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of fil512
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 12:43 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Support] Re: Through the Ages TTA two bugs

With the help of people on the forums, I have found the solution to bug
#2, the wonder cost bug. I sent a message to the author of the module
indicating how to fix the bug. He hasn’t responded to any of my e-mails
for a couple of weeks now, but it’s possible he’s away on vacation. If
I don’t hear back from him In a couple of weeks, I’ll either ask if
someone else can apply the bugfix, or I will attempt to do it myself. I
think I’ve figured out everything about how to cut a new release of a
module except for how to get rid of cards from starting decks in the 2p
and 3p save games (the best I could do is move them to the discard pile,
but there must be a way to remove them from the game entirely…)

For the record, here is the message I sent to Neumannium with
instructions for how to fix the Wonder bug:

Neumannium,

After much discussion in the forums, I have finally found the solution
to the wonder bug. All you need to do is edit the Age*Civil Prototypes,
and move 3 Trigger Actions (called “Trigger when cost = 1”, “Trigger
when cost = 2” and "“Trigger when cost = 3” above Prototype - PickCard.

This fixes the bug as described in my earlier message.

Will you make this change and release a new version?

Also, per my other e-mail there are some cards in the starting decks for
2p and 3p that need to be removed.

Thanks,
Ken

P.S. Details about this bugfix can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3258[1]

[1] https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/question-about-delete-and-order/3127/1

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/through-the-ages-tta-two-bugs/3073/4

That was 10 days ago. I sent him specific details on how to fix the bug. How long should we wait before publishing a fix ourselves?

I’d strongly prefer he make the fix as there a couple of nuances around releasing an upgrade (esp. around 2p and 3p saved games) that I don’t know how to do…

Ken

I have fixed the TTA module myself. Presently testing it. Once I’m convinced the upgrade worked, I’ll start petitioning to release it as the official 2.49.

Ken