How to display value of a Global Property in a label?

I’m currently using a very crude scoring system. I have a Global Property (button) for each player to input their score. Works fine enough.

However, I’d like to keep a running display of the current value for each of these properties. Preferably as a label on the toolbar… something… Any way of currently showing the value of a Global Property?

Thanks!

You won’t be able to put it in the toolbar, but you can create a GamePiece
on a map with a label that shows the global property value.

• M.

On 1 October 2010 03:01, eekamouse joel.eddy@gmail.com wrote:

I’m currently using a very crude scoring system. I have a Global
Property (button) for each player to input their score. Works fine
enough.

However, I’d like to keep a running display of the current value for
each of these properties. Preferably as a label on the toolbar…
something… Any way of currently showing the value of a Global
Property?

Thanks!

You won’t be able to put it in the toolbar, but you can create a GamePiece on a map with a label that shows the global property value.

- M.

On 1 October 2010 03:01, eekamouse <joel.eddy@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm currently using a very crude scoring system. I have a Global
Property (button) for each player to input their score. Works fine
enough.

However, I'd like to keep a running display of the current value for
each of these properties. Preferably as a label on the toolbar...
something... Any way of currently showing the value of a Global
Property?

Thanks!

i am also tring to get a game piece to show the pieceName in a label, but the label won’t show the output.

i use $pieceName$ ($Number$) and the label output is ()

is there a code to show output for a veriable?

The property names are case sensitive. It’s actually PieceName not pieceName. Your output is silently failing because it believes that neither $pieceName$ nor $Number$ exists as a property name. Where is $Number$ defined?

• M.

$numbers$ was defined in a layer for a counter showing ship#. -this isn’t important at this time as i am just playing with it.

On the $pieceName$- this one i am trining to understand. for one, that is how it is spelled in the insert tab of the format part of the label window. two, tried changing the cases, to see if if there is a typo in my properties. i am looking to do this as most counters have a name attached to them (Piece wise) and am looking to use the label as a placeholder so a player can rename the counter if they like, but graphicly would like the counter to start with the $pieceName$ on the counter as a default.

is there a way of looking at properties as a list? so you can see what is going on as far as “what” properties are “what”?

Oops, you’re right. $pieceName$ is set internally by the Text Label trait. My fault. Otherwise, it really is $PieceName$. Kind of ugly.

However, in your original post, you used the variable $Number$ which is not the same as $numbers$. However, $pieceName$ should work. Does it work if you only have $pieceName$ as your label? That is, after all, the default.

• M.

well, got it to work with $basicName$. made mass labeling easier… :slight_smile:, then i go and kill my prototype that killed the module, and now i have to restart my counter building… :frowning: need to learn to make more save files until mod is compleate. :slight_smile: learning as we go!!

Well, that’s a start, I suppose. Both $pieceName$ and $PieceName$ should have worked, and we never figured out why it didn’t…

• M.