Weird save issues all of a sudden...

Hello,

I’ve been designing a mod with great success so far, but I am starting to see some strange things, with the module ignoring what’s saved when I actually try to run the module. It seems to pick and choose what changes I am making even though when I load the module in the editor it still has the changes I made previously. It’s almost like it is just ignoring certain changes and not others.

1. I added some Report Actions to some pieces. I originally had them say, " has sent to their hand". I changed it to say “to their discard pile”. But it always says to their hand. I also checked that any of the default reports for the windows were correct (even removing them all together), and it still keeps saying " has sent to their hand", lol. I opened the vmod in winrar and did a search for “to their hand” and it doesn’t exist in any of the build files. This is really strange!

2. On the player discard piles, I checked the enable right-click to send all cards to another deck option. That’s been working fine for a while, but now I try to enable the draw multiple and the draw card by name options, and they never show up. And!!!.. if I disable the right click send all cards to another deck option… it STILL shows up when I run the mod, even though when I re-open it in the editor it shows it as unchecked still.

Very frustrating. I hope there is a simple answer. Is there some cache somewhere? I deleted all those temp.zip’s.

Thanks again for any help!

On Oct 16, 2010, at 12:31 PM, eekamouse wrote:

Hello,

I’ve been designing a mod with great success so far, but I am starting
to see some strange things, with the module ignoring what’s saved
when I
actually try to run the module. It seems to pick and choose what
changes
I am making even though when I load the module in the editor it still
has the changes I made previously. It’s almost like it is just
ignoring
certain changes and not others.

How are you running the module to test this?

I have seen reports that there are some changes which you will not see
if you run the module out of the editor. You may need to save the
module and run it separately to seem them. This makes testing a bit
more tedious.

Perhaps one of the more experienced module designers could elaborate?

The bottom line is that you can’t be sure what the module will look
like until you close the editor and reopen the module in the player.

That’s how I have always done my module development :slight_smile:

Open module with Edit Module.
Make any number of changes.
Close Module and Editor.
Open the Module and run it.

Sorry to bump this, but I just grabbed an older version of my module, that was a stable release from a week or two ago, and went to add “Allow specific cards to be drawn to a couple of the decks in the game”, but it didn’t show up when I ran the game, but it’s still marked as true in the editor.

I then pulled down another card game from the Modules page, and found a deck, enabled it, and it worked fine.

Is there any setting, or something somewhere else other than the setting itself, that would prevent it from working? It doesn’t seem to be working on any of the decks in my module for some reason. Same with the other issues I mentioned in the OP.

Thanks. (sorry for the bump, I won’t bump anymore)

Do you have proper write permissions in your OS to the directory and file you are editing? That might be a silly question, but it sounds like you are able to edit some files and not others, so I thought to ask.

Yes, I do. I can change some settings and they save just fine, and I can open other modules (in the same directory) and save change to those just fine as well.

I always start my Vassal as Administrator as well, anyway, and it hasn’t been a problem up until now. Good question though :slight_smile:

Ya this is bizarre. I cracked open the buildFile in the .vmod file and the setting is even showing true inside (which I guess does make sense because I can see it as true in the editor), but it’s just not showing up when I run the module? Frustrating =/

would need to see the module. Does the module use pre defined / saved setups at all?

Yes it does have saved setups. I’m guessing that’s the problem. :slight_smile:

Yes that is the problem. Changes made to modules after the save game/predefined setup files are created do not get picked up by or are translated into those saves/setups. You must redefine them again

Ah, so simple and obvious. Thanks :slight_smile: