Help in opening downloaded modules

Help,

I am new to these discussion forum formats and not totally sure what the protocol is and what to do. If you are not able to help, perhaps you could direct me otherwise.

I am running an MAC version 10.4.11 with a 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor. Problem: I am unable to open modules once they are downloaded to my desktop. I have tried several but none will open. I have been able to in the past and currently have two modules in the VASSAL module library. When selecting the module to open from the desktop, it opens VASSAL and the module library which show existing Modules which run just fine. I have tried both suggestions found in Help including a) Right click (control-click) on the link and choose “Download Linked File” from the popup menu, and b) edit the Safari “General” preferences and make sure ‘open “safe” files’ is not checked. Neither of these have worked. I have attached the files that I have downloaded as a reference. Need help.

Thanks for you help in this matter.

Mike

Are you double-clicking on the downloaded module to open it? Unfortunately, on some Macs what happens is, the Mac OS recognizes the module as a zipped file and runs the Archive Utility, which just unzips the file instead of launching Vassal.

If this is what’s happening to you, then instead of launching the module, you will get a folder (for example, Game Folder) named after the module with a bunch of files inside (one of which is called BuildFile, a folder called Images, and some other files.) That’s the guts of the module, unzipped.

Because of this, It’s better to launch Vassal itself. and then launch the module from the module manager by selecting it from the list. If it’s not on the list, pick File > Open Module to add it.

I launched VASSAL and opened the downloaded files per your suggestion and it work, and actually when I exited Vassal the module was then listed in the Vassal Module folder. Also, I could subsequently launch it from there. Funny though, I could not move or copy the downloaded module directly to the Vassal Module folder.

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mike Denson

Thus spake offthegrid:

I launched VASSAL and opened the downloaded files per your suggestion
and it work, and actually when I exited Vassal the module was then
listed in the Vassal Module folder. Also, I could subsequently launch
it from there. Funny though, I could not move or copy the downloaded
module directly to the Vassal Module folder.

I don’t understand this last thing you’re saying. What do you mean by
“move or copy the downloaded module directly to the Vassal Module folder”?

J.

With the Vassal Module folder (window) open, I attempted to copy from my desktop the downloaded game module file. I could not do so. The only way I could get the file into the Vassal Module Folder was to first open the game module in Vassal and upon exit the game module is now in the Vassal Module Folder.

Mike

Thus spake offthegrid:

With the Vassal Module folder (window) open, I attempted to copy from my
desktop the downloaded game module file. I could not do so. The only
way I could get the file into the Vassal Module Folder was to first open
the game module in Vassal and upon exit the game module is now in the
Vassal Module Folder.

What do you mean by “copy from my desktop”? Could you describe exactly
how you were trying to do this?

J.

I’m sorry. I thought I did. Normally when I download a file, I place it my desktop which I did with the game module. When you open VASSAL, a game module window opens and list the game modules that I have downloaded and played. What I attempted to do was to move a game module that I had just downloaded to the desktop into the game module window in order to save the downloaded module into this file folder with the other game modules I have downloaded prior. But this does not work. You must first open the recently downloaded game module that in this case was in my desktop which I did. Once I opened this module in Vassal and exiting Vassal and reopening Vassal, then the game module that was previously on the desktop is now listed in the Game module window with the other game modules.

Hope this helps. Regardless, your prior instruction worked just fine as I now can play the game module in question.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Thus spake offthegrid:

I’m sorry. I thought I did. Normally when I download a file, I place
it my desktop which I did with the game module. When you open VASSAL, a
game module window opens and list the game modules that I have
downloaded and played. What I attempted to do was to move a game module
that I had just downloaded to the desktop into the game module window in
order to save the downloaded module into this file folder with the other
game modules I have downloaded prior.

What I’m trying to discover is what you mean by “move”. Are you doing
something like dragging an icon representing the module file to the
module manager window? Or something else?

J.

Yes,

I am clicking on the Game module file and attempting to drag it into the Vassal Module window.

Mike

Thus spake offthegrid:

Yes,

I am clicking on the Game module file and attempting to drag it into the
Vassal Module window.

Thanks for the clarification. It had not occurred to me that anyone would
expect that to work. I’ve added an RFE for this to our issue tracker:

vassalengine.org/tracker/sho … gi?id=3191

J.