Gulf Strike: What hash file size should I set ?

Question: I’m getting “Out of Memory” errors with this module and my computer has a ton of RAM. I’ve tried increasing the Vassal heap size but so far, it hasn’t made the error go away. What heap size should I set in my preferences for this module ? I’d love to play it !

I have mine set as follows:

JVM initial heap: 600 MB
JVM maximum heap: 1250 MB

Rich.

Thus spake BlacklightDragon:

Question: I’m getting “Out of Memory” errors with this module and my
computer has a ton of RAM. I’ve tried increasing the Vassal heap size
but so far, it hasn’t made the error go away. What heap size should I
set in my preferences for this module ? I’d love to play it !

There is something wrong with this module. Even when using the disk
cache for image tiles in my 3.2 development version, I get an
OutOfMemoryError. It happens under GamePieceLayout.buildImage, which
makes me think that some piece being build this way is screwed up.

Tim, would you mind having a look at this? Maybe you’ll be able to
spot the offending piece. If not, I’ll add some diagnostic information
to my build to find out which it is.

I’ve filed this as Bug 3102:

vassalengine.org/tracker/sho … gi?id=3102

J.

Using a max heap of 1300 seems to make the error go away (for me at least). Have checked module - reported in bug comments

There’s definitely something wrong—it’s trying to load a 10000x10000 image into a piece.

Ok, I’ve fixed the large blank image; it’s now 10x10. Before I push out a v1.02, is there anything else that needs to be done?

Thus spake Richz99:

Ok, I’ve fixed the large blank image; it’s now 10x10. Before I push out
a v1.02, is there anything else that need to be done?

It’s the only thing I saw that was causing a problem.

I’m curious—what was that for? Why did you have such a huge blank
image?

J.

The blank image is used on a game piece that may, or may not, use a specific image.

In earlier versions of VASSAL, I could just leave it blank with no problems (The Next War is an example), but now if I don’t specify an image I get a black square with an X where the image should be.

Now, why it was 10000 x 10000, I don’t know…

Thus spake Richz99:

The blank image is used on a game piece that may, or may not, use a
specific image.

In earlier versions of VASSAL, I could just leave it blank with no
problems (The Next War is an example), but now if I don’t specify an
image I get a black square with an X where the image should be.

Really? That sounds like it could be a bug. Can you build me a minimal
example where that happens?

J.

Joel,

I don’t believe it’s a bug, it’s just a change in the way VASSAL creates a new Game Piece Image from a Game Piece Layout.

In the distant past (I started The Next War in early 2006), when you create a new Game Piece Image from a Game Piece Layout, the Game Piece Image was blank until you filled in the specific labels and images (the images were “null,” which is why there’s an error when you start one of these modules “Bad Data in Module: Image not found null”). Now, the Game Piece Image is pre-populated with the first two letters of the label name, and there’s a black square with an x “place holder” where an image will be.

This isn’t too big of a deal for those pieces that always have an image, but there are times where only a few pieces will have an image and I don’t want to create a separate Game Piece Layout for just those pieces. An example is where the Game Piece Symbol attribute doesn’t have the symbol that I’m looking for (such as Motorized Infantry), so I build an image file with the symbol I need and add it to the Game Piece. For all of the other Game Pieces where the symbol exists (armor, infantry, AT, etc…) I need to add a “blank” image so I don’t see the “place holder.”

Anyway, I’ve had to use a “Blank” image in all of the modules I’ve created so far, except The Next War. Why this one grew to 10000 x 10000, I’m not quite sure.

Sorry for being long winded. I hope this makes sense.