Magic: The Gathering?

Hello! Is there a module for MTG? I remember reading about a really nice one that imports pics and card information. If no module exists, is it fairly simple to just play by creating cards on the fly (with just text) and moving em around/rotating as if there were built-in rules?

I believe these are the websites you might be looking for:

magicworkstation.com/
MWS plays magic the gathering online

slightlymagic.net/
Look under forums for MWS updates and pictures to get everything you might need.

I hope this helps.

I made a MagicTG Vassal module for my own personal use, basically to learn how to play Magic and how to make a Vassal module in one swipe. It’s more or less done now, with a few rough edges.
Screenshot: http://i51.tinypic.com/2uh1zqw.jpg

It’s entirely self-contained (download and play) and pretty low-tech. I built it off the model of the Star Wars CCG module, though gave it its completely own look.

You pull the cards out of a menu and place them, rotate or flip them; you can save & load decks; there are player hands, and slots for the decks & graves where you can shuffle them or pick cards out, etc, and you can play online of course. I didn’t like how a lot of other Magic systems out there hold your hand and move the cards for you or don’t let you put cards just anywhere, and just cluttered the UI with a million options and a bunch of stats and graphs and abstract buttons. I wanted to just move the cards myself, and all I see are the cards and a table, like you’re playing a game in real life, what Vassal is good for. Also it’s good if you want to try alternative rules to play completely different games with the cards. I like playing solitaire versions with them. I’ve also got self-contained html for the rules, full card & set tables & info, “How to make a deck” articles, the Deck-o-pedia (primer on famous decks), and Eric’s alt rules collection… Sort of a self-contained way to learn Magic from scratch for a beginner.

Anyway, I didn’t think it was kosher to distribute the module since the cards are already contained within. For one thing, I optimized the .jpgs so they took as little memory as possible, and I have an innate suspicion against anything I have to download from a site no matter how reliable it claims to be. And since it was just for me when I made it, it was natural to just embed all the cards (Alpha to M11) in the module. But then some friends suggested I should at least consider distributing it, or at least find out the policy about it.

So I was actually going to post if anyone knows more about the policy with regards to Magic modules, and this thread was already on the front page. I was always surprised there wasn’t a module already and assumed it was because it wasn’t kosher. But does anyone know more officially? Would it be better if I tweaked the module so the card .jpgs weren’t contained (so the cards would just be blank out of the box), but you could just download the .jpgs and drop them into the .zip/images folder inside? I just worry about that since the module is so sensitive to the file names for the cards to appear, and it would be a ton of work that’s not even certain to be very practical… Bottom line, though, is this something I can share, or is it destined to just be my personal project just for me? That’s fine with me since I love it for myself, but maybe others would appreciate it too.

This is Magic the Gatherings official website for Online play - they frown upon harshly any other forms of Online play not sanctioned by them:
wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx

Well I certainly don’t want them to frown harshly on me!
I didn’t make it to try to compete with them; just for myself.
But I don’t mind keeping it for myself. I like it anyway. =)
Thanks for the response.

No problem :slight_smile:

I don’t frown harshly upon you.

I actually use Magic Workstation using Skype - I play live online.