Counter Properties

Hi.

I want to create an armour counter but not crowd the counter face with various numbers. So, I have created a property sheet for the counter with the property Names Firepower, Range, Speed and Armour.

When I create the piece in play I have to assign values to these properties for each counter placed.

Is there a way to place a value that is constant in the property sheet so that I don’t have to continually fill it in?

For instance, if I place a particular vehicle counter and click on Properties, it will be automatically filled; Firepower 5, Range 10, Speed 14 and Armour 6?

It may be that I need to use a different trait to do this and if so, which one?

Thanks.

If all of the counters are in the same branch of the tree, you can right-click on that branch and select edit properties (I can’t remember what it’s called). It will allow you to edit all similar counters in that branch. If they’re at all different, the results are slightly difficult to predict, but it often works anyway.

• M.

, Doggo mike@eleven-bravo.co.uk wrote:

Hi.

I want to create an armour counter but not crowd the counter face with
various numbers. So, I have created a property sheet for the counter
with the property Names Firepower, Range, Speed and Armour.

When I create the piece in play I have to assign values to these
properties for each counter placed.

Is there a way to place a value that is constant in the property sheet
so that I don’t have to continually fill it in?

For instance, if I place a particular vehicle counter and click on
Properties, it will be automatically filled; Firepower 5, Range 10,
Speed 14 and Armour 6?

It may be that I need to use a different trait to do this and if so,
which one?

Thanks.

Read this topic online here:
Counter Properties

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

I’m not sure if this will apply to your situation but…

If you’re looking at the trait list for a counter in the editor and the counter has a property sheet trait, you can right-click the graphic for the piece and enter values into property sheet just like you would do in the game. These values will be maintained unless they are changed during game play.

Hi Doc.

I tried this and it did work. However, it simply means that I have to set the properties on every counter I create in the game-piece palette rather than when the game pieces are placed on the map. Agreed, I would only have to do this once for the module but it is still a lot of extra work. I was hoping to do all this through a single prototype.

Is there no way that I can either hover/click on a game piece and have an information panel pop-up with the details on it?

Assuming I understand what you want to do, I think I did what you want in “Rommel in the Desert.” If you right-click on a piece and choose Properties (Cntl-P), it will tell you things like “speed=3” and “BP-cost=3”. To accomplish this, I added the Property Sheet trait to the unit prototype. In Property Sheet, name became “speed=3” and type became “Label Only.” I ended up with an uneditable property that gave information and nothing more. If you look at the “Rommel in the Desert” module and examine a prototype for “mech” (for example), you will see it in action.

Hi shilinski.

I knew it could be done!

I checked out your module and looked at what you had done. It worked.

Thanks very much.