Can't flip untried units in PGG

As the German player, I am unable to “flip” the Russian units from their untried state to the one which has combat values revealed. The menu which should appear does not; instead a sub-menu to one of the menu choices (the retreat option) does.

Even when I switch to playing the Russian side I can’t “flip” the unit; the proper menu appears, but selecting the “reveal strength” side doesn’t actually do anything.

My opponent has no problems with this, and since he is on a PC I suspect my problems are Mac driven, at least in part…

Specs:
MacBook Pro3,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4GHz
2GB
Mac OS X 10.6.6
GeForce 8600M GT
VASSAL 3.1.15
Java 1.6.0_24 from Apple Inc.
Module Panzergruppe Guderian v1.0b07

Can anyone help?

• Art B.

This appears to be by design.The module designer has given the Restricted Access trait to limit the menu choices–so it looks like the German player can’t access the ‘Reveal’ menu item on the Soviet pieces. You would need to edit the module in order to change this. Alternatively, you can contact the module maintainer (his email address is on the module page) and ask him to fix it.

(I’m not sure why you can’t ‘flip’ the units as the Russian; I was able to do it just fine when I downloaded the module and tried both sides. )

It is definitely not related to you being on a Mac.

On Mar 30, 2011, at 12:42 PM, mycenae wrote:

(I’m not sure why you can’t ‘flip’ the units as the Russian; I was
able
to do it just fine when I downloaded the module and tried both
sides. )

This may be related to the infamous “Your password determines your
identity issue”. To change to the Russians you would need a different
password.

Thanks for the replies! I am definitely NOT qualified to edit the module, but supremely qualified to suggest it needs it. Unless the German can flip Soviet units, there would need to be a file exchange for almost every overrun and combat, absurdly lengthening the game. (At least one between honorable players.)
I’ll contact the designer, but am curious — how tough a fix is this?

A teeny fix, actually. The trait order on the pieces (and prototypes) needs to be changed so that ‘Reveal’ is later on the list of traits (below) than ‘Restricted Access’. Then anyone will be able do a Reveal on the pieces in question.

I’ll be posting a new version of the PGG Module in a day or so with a fix.

One other question for those who play PGG… Should the “Step Loss” feature also be available to the opponent when playing by e-mail?

Rich.

I’ve posted an updated version of PGG that should correct this issue with PBEM.