Create account / Log in

Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Discussion area for the development team.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Thus spake lancel:
> Unfortunately, it still fails on my machines with the same error.
>

I've seen several errors. Which one do you mean by "the same"?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby lancel » May 8th, 2011, 5:05 pm

The same one reported by Tim M.

Lance
lancel
 
Posts: 93
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: NY, NY

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby lancel » May 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm

It is this one:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application"

Lance
lancel
 
Posts: 93
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: NY, NY

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Thus spake lancel:
> It is this one:
>
> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK
> to terminate the application"
>
> Lance
>

Do you have any way to work out what's causing it?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Thus spake lancel:
> It is this one:
>
> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK
> to terminate the application"
>
> Lance
>

What user were you running it as? Try running it as Administrator. Does
that work?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby lancel » May 8th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I did run it as administrator since I wanted to use FileMon and RegMon to see if it was looking for some non-existing files or registry keys. It still crashed but then I could not see in the logs which files or registry keys are missing.

What is weird though is that your test.exe spawns a randomly-named executable, which seems to be the one that actually runs. If this is true, I am afraid that even if this turns out to be working, some anti-virus software may shut it down in the end.

Lance
lancel
 
Posts: 93
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: NY, NY

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Thus spake lancel:
> It is this one:
>
> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK
> to terminate the application"
>
> Lance
>

I read that this error can be caused by a missing DLL. I thougth I'd
included all of the DLLs which you wouldn't have already. Here's what I
get when I check what DLLs the exe links to:

[uckelman@scylla cpp-test]$ i686-pc-mingw32-objdump -p test.exe | grep DLL | sort | uniq
DLL Name: glew32.dll
DLL Name: GLU32.DLL
DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
DLL Name: libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
DLL Name: libglut-0.dll
DLL Name: libjpeg-7.dll
DLL Name: libstdc++-6.dll
DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
DLL Name: OPENGL32.DLL

The archive I uploaded contained the following:

glew32.dll
libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
libglut-0.dll
libjpeg-7.dll
libstdc++-6.dll

Aren't all the others part of Windows?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Thus spake lancel:
>
> What is weird though is that your test.exe spawns a randomly-named
> executable, which seems to be the one that actually runs. If this is
> true, I am afraid that even if this turns out to be working, some
> anti-virus software may shut it down in the end.
>

Why would it do that?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:
>
> I read that this error can be caused by a missing DLL. I thougth I'd
> included all of the DLLs which you wouldn't have already. Here's what I
> get when I check what DLLs the exe links to:
>
> [uckelman@scylla cpp-test]$ i686-pc-mingw32-objdump -p test.exe | grep DLL |
> sort | uniq
> DLL Name: glew32.dll
> DLL Name: GLU32.DLL
> DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
> DLL Name: libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
> DLL Name: libglut-0.dll
> DLL Name: libjpeg-7.dll
> DLL Name: libstdc++-6.dll
> DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
> DLL Name: OPENGL32.DLL
>
> The archive I uploaded contained the following:
>
> glew32.dll
> libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
> libglut-0.dll
> libjpeg-7.dll
> libstdc++-6.dll
>
> Aren't all the others part of Windows?
>

Could you check using something like Dependency Walker to check whether
all of the DLLs are being found?

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby Tim M » May 8th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Heres what I get from Dependency Walker:

"Errors were detected when processing..(the filepath test.exe). See the log
window for details"

In the log window:

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export
function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.

Ieshims.dll - error opening file. System cannot find specified file
Wer.dll - error opening file. System cannot find the file

Can send you the dependency walker image if you like?

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: messages-bounces@vassalengine.org
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Joel Uckelman
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 1:00 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:
>
> I read that this error can be caused by a missing DLL. I thougth I'd
> included all of the DLLs which you wouldn't have already. Here's what I
> get when I check what DLLs the exe links to:
>
> [uckelman@scylla cpp-test]$ i686-pc-mingw32-objdump -p test.exe | grep DLL
|
> sort | uniq
> DLL Name: glew32.dll
> DLL Name: GLU32.DLL
> DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
> DLL Name: libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
> DLL Name: libglut-0.dll
> DLL Name: libjpeg-7.dll
> DLL Name: libstdc++-6.dll
> DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
> DLL Name: OPENGL32.DLL
>
> The archive I uploaded contained the following:
>
> glew32.dll
> libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
> libglut-0.dll
> libjpeg-7.dll
> libstdc++-6.dll
>
> Aren't all the others part of Windows?
>

Could you check using something like Dependency Walker to check whether
all of the DLLs are being found?

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

--
J.
Tim,
Vassal Uber Geek/Guru

Problems? post your OS, Physical Mem, version of Vassal and Java plus the Module in question.
No developer can help with out that info, thx!
User avatar
Tim M
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Location: Earth

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Thus spake "Tim McCarron":
> Heres what I get from Dependency Walker:
>
> "Errors were detected when processing..(the filepath test.exe). See the log
> window for details"
>
> In the log window:
>
> Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export
> function in an implicitly dependent module.
> Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

This error is not one I see when I try it on my VM. Can you tell which
DLLs are causing it?

> Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
>
> Ieshims.dll - error opening file. System cannot find specified file
> Wer.dll - error opening file. System cannot find the file

These two are the same ones I saw missing in my VM. Everything I've read
about these says that they aren't loaded unless they're needed, and on
systems where they are needed, they will exist already.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby Tim M » May 8th, 2011, 9:35 pm

uckelman wrote:Thus spake "Tim McCarron":
> Heres what I get from Dependency Walker:
>
> "Errors were detected when processing..(the filepath test.exe). See the log
> window for details"
>
> In the log window:
>
> Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export
> function in an implicitly dependent module.
> Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

This error is not one I see when I try it on my VM. Can you tell which
DLLs are causing it?

J.


Yeah (sort of). All the DLLs are listed as CPU type x64 except for:

GLEW32.DLL
LIBGCC_S_SJLJ-1.DLL
LIBGLUT-0.DLL
LIBJPEG-7.DLL
LIBSTDC++-6.DLL
TEST>EXE

These are listed as CPU type x86
Tim,
Vassal Uber Geek/Guru

Problems? post your OS, Physical Mem, version of Vassal and Java plus the Module in question.
No developer can help with out that info, thx!
User avatar
Tim M
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Location: Earth

Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: Roadmap for

Postby uckelman » May 8th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Thus spake Tim M:
>
> Yeah (sort of). All the DLLs are listed as CPU type x64 except for:
>
> GLEW32.DLL
> LIBGCC_S_SJLJ-1.DLL
> LIBGLUT-0.DLL
> LIBJPEG-7.DLL
> LIBSTDC++-6.DLL
> TEST>EXE
>
> These are listed as CPU type x86
>

That's not surprising, since I did a 32-bit build. I'll try doing a
64-bit build tomorrow, to see if it makes a difference.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8140
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby lancel » May 9th, 2011, 2:59 am

I did some more testing on W2k VM 32-bit, XP SP3 32-bit, W7 32-bit and W7 64-bit. All of them failed but on checking the Filemon logs, I got a clue when I noticed that something seemed to happen when glew32.dll was loaded. So I went to glew32.dll's SourceForge location to download its latest. After replacing the file, my W7 64-bit works but all others still fail.

I then looked at the log files produced by running the glewinfo.exe utility that comes with the glew32 download. The log files suggest that the OpenGL binaries on my 32-bit machines are no newer than 2 whereas my gaming W7 64-bit is patched all the way to 4. I think that because my W7 64-bit has a real graphics card, when its drivers were installed, its installation package probably automatically upgraded the W7 system with the latest OpenGL binaries whereas all my other 32-bit machines are still using those default ones that come with the OS. For example, I think the glDrawArrays call works only if the OpenGL is at least of version 3.1 or above.

Lance
lancel
 
Posts: 93
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: NY, NY

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby lancel » May 9th, 2011, 4:28 am

Checking over OpenGL's API doc, glDrawArrays should work on GL 1.1 or higher.

Lance
lancel
 
Posts: 93
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: NY, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Developers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron