Bug while building modules, prevents updating

I am building a module for a well-known game company and it has started hanging up when I save using the edit screen save button. Once that happens, updates are not possible and there are screwups. A counter pool I was building ended up all messed up (even though each counters was properly located) and I cannot update a list of markers by adding new tabs.

I am at my wit’s end trying to build this. I dread the thought of starting over only to have it do the same again. Is there something that can be done (or not done) to prevent these unfortunate occurrences?

I have tried to reproduce the bug, but of course it won’t do it if I want it to happen…

Running: Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit OS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU E6750 @2.66GHz
Installed RAM: 3.00Gb
Vassal: 3.1.15

Thus spake alsandor:

I am building a module for a well-known game company and it has started
hanging up when I save using the edit screen save button. Once that
happens, updates are not possible and there are screwups. A counter
pool I was building ended up all messed up (even though each counters
was properly located) and I cannot update a list of markers by adding
new tabs.

I am at my wit’s end trying to build this. I dread the thought of
starting over only to have it do the same again. Is there something
that can be done (or not done) to prevent these unfortunate occurrences?

I have tried to reproduce the bug, but of course it won’t do it if I
want it to happen…

This isn’t enough detail for us to track down the problem. What do you
mean by “hangs”? The program becomes unresponsive? How long have you
waited?

If it happens again, post the contents of VASSAL/errorLog from your
home directory.

J.

By hangs, I mean a Vassal Error screen appears which I exit without saving and then restart from my last save.

Here are the contents of the last errorlog although I’m not sure what you mean by “home directory”.

04 May 2011 20:38:29.473 0 – Starting
04 May 2011 20:38:29.474 0 – OS Windows 7
04 May 2011 20:38:29.474 0 – Java version 1.6.0_24
04 May 2011 20:38:29.474 0 – VASSAL version 3.1.15
04 May 2011 20:38:29.505 0 – Manager
04 May 2011 20:38:44.341 0 – Exiting

I’m not sure you get that much from it, but hey, knock yourself out :slight_smile:

Thus spake alsandor:

By hangs, I mean a Vassal Error screen appears which I exit without
saving and then restart from my last save.

What does the error screen show?

J.

I will post as soon as I have recreated the event. So far, no luck. It does this erratically. I can save five times without trouble, then it hangs up on the sixth, or the twelfth…

Apologies for not getting back to this. The error message never showed up again and I was able to finish the module. Go figger…

please provide the bug in full so I can help.

My apologies for not posting this earlier. The bug did not replicate after I had posted my report of it, so I was unable to continue this. In the end, I was able to complete the module without further interruptions, saving every second image just to be sure.

But really, it would surprise me very much if this bug which crashes a save from within the editor has not yet been reported. I know I’m not the only one getting it…another module builder in the region has reported the same problem.