Moving game from one PC to another

I’ve had problems now with VASL and A Victory Lost on VASSAL. My games are being played with email sending log files back and forth. ASL and AVL have hidden information that is visible when the engine knows who you are and what side you’re playing. I would have assumed it is using the player name and password to figure this out, but it appears a PC name or something else specific to a physical computer is being stored. If I copy a log file to a different PC and try to continue the game none of the hidden information is available to me. So in ASL I cannot see my own concealed units and in AVL I cannot pick chits or see the hidden chit area. I got around this in AVL by downloading the solo version of the MOD file, but that won’t work for ASL.

Is there some way to get around this? I had a hard-disk crash and work gave me a new laptop.

I’m on 3.1.15 for VASSAL, 4.4.4 for AVL and I believe 5.9.2 for VASL.

Jeff

In case I wasn’t clear, I have the same password in preferences on both laptops.

I’m also interested in the answer to this question as I’d like to be able to play a pbem game from either of 2 PCs but when I load the game log file on the second PC, it only seems to give me the option of being an observer.

I’ve never had a problem using 3 different systems, but I use the exact same user name and password in vassal on all three. I have a game of Ran going right now I can test later from my laptop.

I’m sure I’m using the same username and password (well actually I’m leaving the password blank on both machines). But can I just check whether I’m referring to the same username/password as you.

I see mine by starting up a particular module, File → Preferences then the Personal tab. Is this correct? In other words my name and password is specific to a particular module and not Vassal as a whole?

That’s correct I think since each module ask the first time you run it,
maybe someone with more technical knowledge can affirm. But having a blank
password isn’t possible is it? Every module I start for the first time
requires a user name and at least 1 character in the password field. Perhaps
it’s the blank password that is tripping it up. Try using at least a single
character in the password field on all your pc’s.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Yojimbo252
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 10:18 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Re: Moving game from one PC
to another

I’m sure I’m using the same username and password (well actually I’m leaving
the password blank on both machines). But can I just check whether I’m
referring to the same username/password as you.

I see mine by starting up a particular module, File → Preferences then the
Personal tab. Is this correct? In other words my name and password is
specific to a particular module and not Vassal as a whole?

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/moving-game-from-one-pc-to-another/3702/5

Ownership of hidden items can be based per-side or per player, it depends on the module. Nearly all modules use per player which means that it is keyed to your Password. Your User Name is irrelevent, it is justthe rag used to display messages in the chat area.

So, to move between PC’s to play VASL or AVl, you must ensure that you set the Password EXACTLY on both machines. You must have made a typing mistake in the password on the second machine.

User Names and Passwords are stored per-module.

Having a blank or very simple password is A Very Bad Idea. If you play a module against a player with the same password, and that module defines sides, or has hidden information, the you will both end up playing the same side and having access to one sides hidden information.

Regards,
Brent.

Ok thanks for the responses. I’ll try updating my password on the ‘good’ PC so I know exactly what it is at the next opportunity and then replicate that same password on the second PC.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Just remember, that unless the password on both PC’s is the same as the one you originally created the games on, you will not be able to access the hidden info. If you can access the info using your good PC, then load the save game, then change your password, the save the game using your new password, then set that same password on your second PC.

Good point. I’ll keep that in mind.