noob help with counter and map images new game

Hello,

I want to develop a WW2 strategic game and was thinking of using the Totaler Kreig Map, Counters and Cards as a basis and then modifying them to be unique for the new game. However, the .gif images seem to be imbedded in the module, so I can’t get at them. Which is fine, I can do a map, counters and cards from scratch, it just would be faster to work on concepts by playing around with the existing module.

I have experience with some basic programming but the graphics part of designing a map and counters and then uploading them into the game does not seem easy to figure out based on my review of documentation and playing around with editing the TK module. so,

1. how can i get at the gif components of TK. or, if that is not possible (or allowed or ethical)

2. how to design a map and counters?

any basic ideas would be helpful and I would be grateful. thanks faust :slight_smile:

Thus spake faust:

Hello,

I want to develop a WW2 strategic game and was thinking of using the
Totaler Kreig Map, Counters and Cards as a basis and then modifying them
to be unique for the new game. However, the .gif images seem to be
imbedded in the module, so I can’t get at them. Which is fine, I can do
a map, counters and cards from scratch, it just would be faster to work
on concepts by playing around with the existing module.

I have experience with some basic programming but the graphics part of
designing a map and counters and then uploading them into the game does
not seem easy to figure out based on my review of documentation and
playing around with editing the TK module. so,

1. how can i get at the gif components of TK. or, if that is not
    possible (or allowed or ethical)

Modules are ZIP archives. All the images will be within the images
directory of the module.

J.

Thanks Pz J

Excellent, I’ll try to unzip it.

Hello finally getting back to this project. I must be dense or something because I tried to unzip a module with two free unzip utilities and tried to extract the files. the first utility would not let me unzip it because it was not a .zip file, the second utility express zip simply returned an uncompressed single file after extraction.

any hints for me would be helpful. all i am trying to do is unzip a module :laughing:

You have to change the extension from .vmod to .zip. Once unzipped, change the extension back to .vmod.

Thanks Dr. Nostromo – yes, i tried that first – the problem was that windows 7 hides the extension unless it’s deselected in the folder views options. Once I did that, unzipping worked fine. gratitude –

By the way, if you use 7Zip and allow it to install its Windows Explorer extensions during setup, you can right-click the VMOD in Explorer and have 7Zip extract it without having to fiddle with extensions.
Well, unless you want to zip it back up.