Centered Stacking

Here’s the situation:

I have a tank counter, big, that can rotate. It can have a turret counter,small, that can rotate separately.

How do I get the turret counter to always be in the center of the tank counter?

The tank counter snaps to the grid but the turret counter always aligns with the lower left corner of the tank counter.

I tried making the turret a layer of the tank counter but then it obscures info on the tank conter.

I tried Game Piece Layers on the map board but then when you move the tank counter to a different hex the turret is not stacked and stays in the previous hex.

Any ideas?

barthheart,

Have you tried placing a Marker on top of the original piece? I have done this for a few things, and I think that it will center itself unless you enter numbers for an offset. In addition, you have an option to match the rotation of the underlying piece (which, for obvious reasons, you wouldn’t want to do).

For more details, see the following link:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Marker

or consult your VASSAL documentation.

I don’t know if this is the best solution, but I hope it gets you on the right track! Good luck!

Rommel14,
Thanks for your time.
Yeah I tried that but if the counters are different sizes, ie the tank is 150 by 150 and the marker (turret) is 100 by 100, then the marker appears at the lower left of the tank. I also tried using the offsets to force the centering but these do nothing at all…?

if the tank is 150x150 then make your turret 100x100 = 150x 150 by adding a 25px
transparency border around it in your fav graphic editing software so it will
always stay centered on the tank

To: messages@vassalengine.org
Sent: Mon, August 1, 2011 2:26:31 PM
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Re: Centered Stacking

Rommel14,
Thanks for your time.
Yeah I tried that but if the counters are different sizes, ie the tank
is 150 by 150 and the marker (turret) is 100 by 100, then the marker
appears at the lower left of the tank. I also tried using the offsets to
force the centering but these do nothing at all…?

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/centered-stacking/4134/3

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your time also.

I tried that too. But if I rotate the turret I get an odd ghost outline when the pieces are selected.

I what I really want to know is if there is a way to force all pieces in a stack to be centered on the hex and still be in a stack regardless of piece size?

You can get rid of the ghost outline by changing the border thickness for selected pieces to 0 (can also change color to transparent border) in the map dialog box

I’ll give that a try and see how it looks. Thanks.

Hey Tim,

How are the offsets supposed to work when placing a marker? Shouldn’t I just be able to put 25 and 25 in those and get teh marker centerd on my tank? I’ve tried various values but the mark does not move from the extreme lower left Corner of my tank counter…?

Thanks.

barthheart,

An easy way to place a turret that rotates in the center of your tank is to get a top down view of a your turret, color in with a solid color all the area outside of the turret itself, save as a .png picture and check the box “Save transparent color” and select the solid color you chose for the area outside of the turret.

Then depending on how many different rotations you want (for my example, I will pick four (pointing up, right, down, and left)) save four pictures of your turret in the different positions.

Place these four pictures into a LAYER in your tank piece with offset 0,0 with each position of your turret a different layer (images 1 to 4 of one layer) . This will place the turret at the center of your piece (or you could change the offset and move the turret around).

Since the turret picture is a .png picture the chosen transparent color will be invisible and only the turret itself will show up on your tank counter.

Hope this is helpful (I have done similar layers for pieces for the VASSAL I am currently working on.

Stephen