Creating and modifying Zones

I did a search in this forum and didn’t see that this has been discussed previously (apologies if I missed it elsewhere).

Drawing Zones (and subsequently modifying their vertices) is really onerous. I get that I need to start by drawing a box and adding vertices from there to get the desired shape, but it doesn’t seem like the “Right-click to add point” feature works like the instruction would have you believe. Whenever I right-click, not 1 but 2 new vertices get created, and there isn’t any predictability to how they’ll modify the shape–sometimes it’s normal, sometimes the vertices get out of sequence (not sure if that’s the right way of describing it) such that you get a bow-tie effect to your Zone, and you then have to move around more vertices than just the ones you added to get back to your desired shape.

I’ve experienced this behavior for the last several versions of VASSAL on both Mac and PC. Any ideas? Did any of that description even make sense?

I know exactly what you’re saying. I tried once some time ago to create zones with the editor and found it nearly impossible. What I do is open the map in a video editor, draw the zone on the map, write down all the x and y coordinates for the vertices of the zone and then copy and paste the coordinate info into Vassal. Sounds like a tedious process, especially if you have a lot of zones …and it is …but it’s still easier and faster than trying to create non-rectangular zones in the Vassal editor.

I am reworking the board based editors (Zones, Regions, Decks, At-start stacks) for 3.2 to share the same code and will look at fixing usability issues with the Zone Editor.

Bug 4109 - Zone Editor right-click to add point adds 2 points in the wrong line segment

Just to clarify, I meant a graphics editor. I have no idea why I said a video editor.