3.2 roundup

This might be a reason to give up on the Windows L&F. That would also
solve our font size problem.

Will anyone be sorry to see it go?

Sorry! Submitted a new patch. Didn’t cater for the case where pieces are dragged between different maps. Actually, they don’t disappear; they just don’t get moved or dragged! Note the function “isClicked”. The problem with my patch is right there.

I don’t know if this is a Java bug. The fixes I made are all logical fixes (to do with logic). In short, it indicates that the problem isn’t at a lower (API) level, but at a higher (programmer) level.

Thanks for testing!

I didn’t test if the patch works for Java L&F. Can you check if I broke things for the Java L&F?

Now, this would most likely be an API error. Is there a tracker for this, so I can observe this difference? Currently, I’ve added codes to work around this problem. I merely used the right-click pressed to “cancel drag” (on second thought, you might wanna change this logic to “buttonPressed != BUTTON1” instead, so that anything other than left-click press will cancel drag).

Your new patch generates a NullPointerException when moving a counter from 1 map to another.

As I said, this code works perfectly With Java L&F and breaks with Windows L&F. We shouldn’t have to do anything. I think your fixes are just attempting to work around this bug.

Erm. Is it alright if you give me a little support, say in terms of testing my patches, instead of telling me I shouldn’t have to do anything? Well, if I’m breaking things, please do tell me to stop. But otherwise, is it alright for the team to allow me some indulgence in fixing things? :slight_smile:

I don’t see that NullPointerException. Check out trunk version 7945, apply my patches, and test. Thanks!

Since we have other issues with the Windows L&F, we are considering reverting to the Java L&F, which will fix this issue also, hence my comments. Please, keep at it. I will have a look at the latest version.

Regards,
Brent.

Forgive my naivety, but what does Windows L&F bring to the table and what do we lose without it?

-Mark R.

Oh… just looked it up… Look and Feel :blush:
Wouldn’t bother me if it were gone… (not that my opinion matters :wink: ).

-Mark R.

No problem. Brent and I fixed it just now. Should be in v3.2. Along same lines, we probably would standardize all LookAndFeel(s) soon, so that we have less number of “variant UI environments” to handle. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Okay, I just looked it up too. I hadn’t realized that the “Windows Look & Feel” was just a bunch of alternate Java components rather than actually tapping into a library of Windows graphical elements. The examples given on Oracle’s site don’t look much like Windows to me… (which would seem to be the point of the entire exercise).

I’ve uploaded build 8003 containing Jon’s fix for Bug 4050 to the usual place.

Thus spake mroyer:

Brent Easton acknowledged reproducing this behavior. I don’t know if he
intends to fix it for 3.2. I’d rate the issue as low-priority, though
it can be annoying at times. (I originally reported this here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4499&start=30[1] )

Do you still experience this problem with the svn8015 build?

J.

We haven’t tried yet. I will try tonight.

-Mark R.

VASSAL-3.2.0-svn8015-windows.exe appears to be broken.
On initial module launch, at the splash screen, I get the “Eeek! A Bug!” dialog. If I continue on past that, the module loads, but the hex-grids are neither displayed nor enabled on the map.

On the plus-side, bug 4050 seems to have been fixed.

Thus spake mroyer:

On initial module launch, at the splash screen, I get the “Eeek! A Bug!”
dialog. If I continue on past that, the module loads, but the hex-grids
are neither displayed nor enabled on the map.

With what module?

J.

This may be related to the grid problems as I updated to svn8015 yesterday with no problems on my current build of To Be King. I’m not using a grid …I’m using strictly zones and a few region points.

Same issue.

I am building my own module Babylon5-CGS. I have reverted back to previous build.

Thus spake mroyer:

On initial module launch, at the splash screen, I get the “Eeek! A Bug!”
dialog. If I continue on past that, the module loads, but the hex-grids
are neither displayed nor enabled on the map.

Pieter, would you take a look at this? It might be something that I
screwed up when merging your grid code, or it might be something wrong
in your grid code. The relevant Bug is 4122.

J.

It’s a module of my own home brew. I can provide it if that will help.

-Mark R.

Yes, I will look at this as soon as I have the module. If you send me a PM I will provide my email address to receive it.

Joel: Congratulations! I trust everyone is well, albeit tired?

Thus spake pgeerkens:

Yes, I will look at this as soon as I have the module. If you send me a
PM I will provide my email address to receive it.

Thanks for having a look.

Joel: Congratulations! I trust everyone is well, albeit tired?

All three of us are fine, though I would prefer the hours of crying to
happen during the day, when I was already planning to be awake.

J.