Ubuntu 10.04 installation problem with 3.1.17

I do everything explained in the previous thread (even re-download), yet whenever I run VASSAL.sh nothing happens (neither in terminal nor in gui)

monokli@monokli-desktop:~/games/VASSAL-3.1.17$ dir doc lib VASSAL.sh monokli@monokli-desktop:~/games/VASSAL-3.1.17$ ./VASSAL.sh monokli@monokli-desktop:~/games/VASSAL-3.1.17$

nothing happened between command 2 & 3

lib’s contents:

monokli@monokli-desktop:~/games/VASSAL-3.1.17/lib$ dir AppleJavaExtensions.jar batik-svg-dom.jar smackx-debug.jar batik-anim.jar batik-svggen.jar smackx.jar batik-awt-util.jar batik-swing.jar swing-layout-1.0.3.jar batik-bridge.jar batik-transcoder.jar swing-worker-1.2.jar batik-codec.jar batik-util.jar swingx-0.9.4.jar batik-css.jar batik-xml.jar TimingFramework-1.0.jar batik-dom.jar BrowserLauncher2-1_3.jar Vengine.jar batik-extension.jar commons-lang-2.5.jar wizard.jar batik-ext.jar java-getopt-1.0.13.jar xalan-2.6.0.jar batik-gui-util.jar jna.jar xercesImpl.jar batik-gvt.jar licenses xml-apis-ext.jar batik-parser.jar miglayout-3.7.1-swing.jar xml-apis.jar batik-script.jar smack.jar monokli@monokli-desktop:~/games/VASSAL-3.1.17/lib$

My java is:

monokli@monokli-desktop:~$ which java /usr/bin/java monokli@monokli-desktop:~$ java -version java version "1.6.0_20" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.9) (6b20-1.9.9-0ubuntu1~10.04.2) OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

I can use 3.1.17 and others without any problem with 10.04 LTS and sun java. Can you try this? You need to enable the Canonical partner repository in software sources and install sun-java6-jre.

All I did was install java before, download, extract with command line, I have the proper file structure, I have the proper java jre version installed, I have everything but that sucker simply does not work. does NOTHING (read the cli extracts please) AT ALL!!!

Thus spake borotvalt:

I’ve got the latest of this sun-java6-jre installed already and I use
the LTS too, but it simply does NOTHING at all.

What happens if you run this from the directory where VASSAL.sh is?

java -classpath lib/Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

J.

I have no idea why, but it worked.

Maybe I needed a reboot.

Thanks.

Thus spake borotvalt:

I have no idea why, but it worked.

Maybe I needed a reboot.

Thanks.

What worked? VASSAL.sh, or the command I suggested?

J.