Syntax for text properties

This doesn’t seem to be documented anyplace…What’s the syntax for checking the value of a text string property with a space in it? I’ve tried several alternatives and none of them seem to work.

If the text is just a single word, then it’s easy. $Prop$ = Foobar works just fine and will check if the Prop property is Foobar.

What I’m not sure about is if the property is value is something like Foo Bar. In this case, $Prop$ = Foo Bar doesn’t seem to work.

Bump. I’d like to know the answer to this, too.

No special syntax

$Prop$ = Foo Bar

should work

…or if Prop is the name of the variable and Foo Bar is the value, it would be

Prop = $Foo Bar$

Actually, that’s a good point. If you want to check the value of a variable named Prop against the value ‘Foo Bar’ the correct syntax is

Prop=Foo Bar

not

$Prop$=Foo Bar

These old-style comparisons are a bit funny. There is an implied $…$ around the left hand side of each comparison operator.

Regards,
Brent.

Heh, heh, heh. Yeah, I got that wrong too. What I wrote would be comparing a variable called Prop against a variable called Foo Bar …so Brent got right.

Since we’re on the subject, you can combine variables on the left to create a single variable. For example, I’m working on a game right now where the player sides are the names of clans - Pegasus, Dragon, etc.

Each player selects a race which is stored in Global Properties - PegasusRace, DragonRace. Lets say:

PegasusRace = Orc
DragonRace = Elf

Now let’s say that you have a button that will activate a trigger action if the player side playing the Orc clicks it. You can put in a property filter of:

$PlayersSide$Race = Orc

If Pegasus clicks it, it will activate as PegasusRace = Orc

If Dragon clicks it, it won’t activate as DragonRace = Elf