Ascension Chronicle of the Godslayer / Return of the Fallen

eekamouse has already created a great module for the base set of Ascension. He claims he won’t update it any further, since Apple has released an app for the game. I’m just looking into adding some cards to the Portal Deck which is already within the module, but when I attempt to add cards, using all the correct values, they don’t show up in the deck (whether I’m testing within the editor or just a solo game offline.) In fact, I got so curious I even tried deleting cards to see if those changes got reflected…they didn’t. I even tried DELETING the entire deck, clicking save, and then exiting and opening a game offline. ALL of the cards were still there…clearly I’m missing a step or two here. ANY help/direction is appreciated here, I’m a huge noob with all of this (I apologize for that).

P.S. I’m not trying to rip off eekamouse’s work, I wouldn’t even release the module without his permission. I’m just trying to figure out how to edit the damn thing.

Sounds like you’re just re-opening the original mod. Are you opening your new versions via the File → Open menu or just clicking it in your module library list. If you’re saving them under a different filename and not adding the.vmod extension, your library is only going to open what it can find …which would be the original.

Thanks for the response. Although I hoped you were right, I don’t believe that’s what’s going on. I’m actually going to demonstrate what I see going on, I’ll upload it to youtube or something similar.

I went ahead and uploaded what I’m describing, that way you guys can give me a better diagnosis. Once again, it’s probably something simple I overlooked, because I am new at this :slight_smile:. Watch it here:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQeU-p3ZUpY

If you can’t see what I’m doing, watch it in Fullscreen 720p

See “Updating Saved Games” in the reference manual or search the forums for
same. This explains why your changes are not taking effect.

You are using pre defined setups

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of HoLzBeRd
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:44 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] Edit: [Module Support] Re: Ascension Chronicle of
theGodslayer / Return of the Fal

[This message has been edited.]

I went ahead and uploaded what I’m describing, that way you guys can
give me a better diagnosis. Once again, it’s probably something simple
I overlooked, because I am new at this :slight_smile:. Watch it here:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQeU-p3ZUpY[1]

If you can’t see what I’m doing, watch it in Fullscreen 720p

[1] youtube.com/watch?v=JQeU-p3ZUpY

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/ascension-chronicle-of-the-godslayer-return-of-the-fallen/4389/4

Thank you, as well, for your reply. Now we’re onto something. I searched the forum a bit, didn’t find much on “Updating saved games”. I guess I still don’t understand the proper way to edit the starting deck

Okay, I found some documentation on “Updating saved games” on the site here. So, here’s what I am now attempting: I remove all old copies of the module, download a fresh one. Open the module editor, export game piece info into a file, close editor. Then, I open the module editor again, and this time I add a card to the main deck. I change the version of the module, then save it as a different file name. Am I on the right track or no?? Then, I go to Update Saved Games, and open the file I exported before, attempting to update the database or whatever. Then nothing comes up in the box… :frowning: please help someone, sorry I’m stupid with this kind of thing, but I’m trying.

The problem isn’t editing the starting deck - you’ve got that down. The problem is getting those edited changes to take.

The module has pre-defined setups. A pre-defined setup only retains information about the module at the time that setup file was created (a really bad/dumb idea it seems as this continually keeps happening as a problem) so any changes made after will not be reflected in the setup files unless the module editor recreates those saved game files manually again or by using the Saved Game updater (or try to).

I recommend you do the former after you have made your deck edits and replace the saved files already in the module with updated ones. In order to do that, before you make your changes, you might want to load each save game to see how they are setup (their differences) so you can recreate them, unless you already know what they are supposed to be

Another option would be to just remove the predefined setups altogether and make players set things up for themselves

Thank you so much, Tim. You’re very helpful. I will give that a shot today, and post back what I figure out. Thanks!

This is bad, and sorely needs a fix. Is this in the tracker somewhere?

There are extremely good reasons why this is so, as you should know Tim.

Version 3.2 of Vassal includes an in-game tool that replaces all counters the current user has access to with new versions based on the Piece Definition that was used to create them. This will still require that the predefined setup be loaded, updated and resaved, but is hugely easier to use than the current ‘saved game updater’.

Okay, well, I’m finally onto something (kind of). I’m seeing some changes take place, although not how I want them to. I download a fresh copy of the module, then save a copy and call it version 1.0.8 instead of 1.0.7. Then, I export the game piece info of the 1.0.7 module. Then, I open 1.0.8 in the editor, add a card, then use the Update Saved Games tool. I go to Import game piece info, then pick the file extracted from the 1.0.7 version. Then, where it says “Saved Games” and the “Choose” button, I click choose and select the 1.0.7 version. Then click update…it attempts to update, a bunch of text flies up the screen, then I look through the deck and my new card is not there…AHHHHH :frowning:. Now what am I doing wrong?

P.S. I also tried the reverse…tried editing 1.0.7 first and then adding the card, and THEN extracting game piece info. Then I attempt to import it into 1.0.8, to no avail.

Can someone explain, in detail, how to use the updater? For example, do I add cards to the original module, save, export game piece info, close, open new module in editor, import game piece info. Then where it says “saved games” which do I choose, the new or the old module? I just need a little guidance, and I’ll have this figured out in no time. I have looked through the documentation on updating saved games…doesn’t help me a bit though.

Bump for pointers, :frowning:

Thus spake HoLzBeRd:

Bump for pointers, :frowning:

Are you trying to do this in 3.1, or one of the 3.2 development builds?

J.

First 3.1, then updated to 3.2. Same results

Apparantly, I was wrong about what version I was using. I just checked again, I’m using 3.1.17. The reason I assumed I was using 3.2 is because I went to update Vassal, it found the latest updates, then apparently brought me up to 3.1.17…so where do I find 3.2? I checked the download page. Also, bump for suggestions on how to “ADD AN EXPANSION TO A CARD GAME”, with in-depth tips on how to use the saved games updater (yes I have checked documentation, I’m clearly doing something wrong and need a little assistance).

Thus spake HoLzBeRd:

Apparantly, I was wrong about what version I was using. I just checked
again, I’m using 3.1.17. The reason I assumed I was using 3.2 is
because I went to update Vassal, it found the latest updates, then
apparently brought me up to 3.1.17…so where do I find 3.2? I checked
the download page. Also, bump for suggestions on how to “ADD AN
EXPANSION TO A CARD GAME”, with in-depth tips on how to use the saved
games updater (yes I have checked documentation, I’m clearly doing
something wrong and need a little assistance).

3.2 isn’t released yet. Were you able to solve your problem with the
updater?

J.