Additional Vassal Help?

A great documentation project would be a “How did they do that?” series. This would highlight cool features of certain modules and show how those features were accomplished in the editor. For example, revealing enemy hidden units within range of a moving unit, or rotating a map board during play. Properly organized, it could be a very useful reference. It’s basically the inverse of the Reference Manual, which starts with the component in the VASSAL editor and explains what you can do with it. Thd “How did they do that?” guide would start with the game-play feature and explain what combination of components achieved it.

rk

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Good idea, so basically an FAQ. The real challenge is finding someone to create and maintain it. :open_mouth:

Yes, Exactly.

Basically a selection of HOW-TO’s.

If you run into a design problem in a module, you could then go and peruse the HOW-TO’s to find a feature similiar to te one you want to implement.

This would also be good for including detailed descriptions of how to implement some of the lesser known and more complex features like Zone Highlighters

Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 20/12/2007 at 4:46 PM Rodney Kinney wrote:

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au (b.easton@uws.edu.au)

After a time, the Module Design section of the forum will make for a good source to pull this information from (those things declared to be useful) for the person that does put this together

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Brent Easton
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:11 PM
To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List
Subject: Re: [General Discussion]Re: Additional Vassal Help?

Yes, Exactly.

Basically a selection of HOW-TO’s.

If you run into a design problem in a module, you could then go and peruse the HOW-TO’s to find a feature similiar to te one you want to implement.

This would also be good for including detailed descriptions of how to implement some of the lesser known and more complex features like Zone Highlighters

Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 20/12/2007 at 4:46 PM Rodney Kinney wrote:

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au (b.easton@uws.edu.au)

Great Idea …

I have myself a way to design one How To … (i will try to put it after the holidays in january…)

The How To is :

How to put directly a wanted kind of “layer” on a piece without using layers …

Why ? simply because a layer is increased or decreased +1 without possibility to choose directly the right “image” / “layer” …

Sample is for Warrior Knights : Cities after a combat/siege are controled by Barons. Then when the city has fallen i want to put directly the right control marker …

lotrtmg.30.forumer.com/index.php … ost&id=455