TS - Observer or Solo mode?

Is it possible to play/view both sides in Twilight Struggle? I like to get a feel for the module before I start a real game. I can choose OBSERVER mode and then I can’t play either side. I can choose Russia or America and can’t play the other side…

TIA
Hans Brouwer

You can switch sides in the middle of a game. Otherwise, there is no way to see both sides at the same time. Unfortunately, that still won’t give you a complete feel for the game because some things don’t work properly if there is only one player. The best thing to do is to try it with a buddy or someone who’s willing to explain the mechanics. Or just read the help and have a go.

• M.

On 2012-01-27, at 8:01 AM, TheJoker hansbrouwer2004@yahoo.com wrote:

Is it possible to play/view both sides in Twilight Struggle? I like to
get a feel for the module before I start a real game. I can choose
OBSERVER mode and then I can’t play either side. I can choose Russia or
America and can’t play the other side…

TIA
Hans Brouwer

Read this topic online here:
TS - Observer or Solo mode?

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Run two VASSALs, on the same computer, or two separate computers if you have them. Play both sides that way.

Tnx for answering all, I will defibitely try the 2-sessions approach.

That’s certainly one way to do it.

On Linux (and probably Mac), you can also open two VASSAL sessions. But
here’s the weird part: they have to be as different users. I don’t know
how you would do that on Windows, but if someone knows, please post how.

• M.

On 27 January 2012 12:03, bdgza bdegroot@gmail.com wrote:

Run two VASSALs, on the same computer, or two separate computers if you
have them. Play both sides that way.

I have tested this a bit on my Mac, and it works fine. You need to login a two separate users, which is easy, if you have the Wizard enabled (on by default). If not, then you can check your user information from the top menu. Just change the name in the 2nd session, and you should be good to go.

In Windows, you can use the ‘runas’ tool in a shortcut:

runas /user:<some_other_user> c:\Program Files\Path\To\Vassal.exe

I am running into some weird situation, when running the module from 2 different pc’s with 2 different logins. The same situation arises when running the module twice from the same pc.
After the game has started and Russia has done it’s move, the American session is mostly disabled. You can’t do anything. Until you choose the menu option to change sides: I open it and choose the American side, which I already have chosen. The American crads icon is open, the Russian is greyed out. After I have chosen the American side everything works again for the American side.
After I have clicked for the next turn, showing now that its the Russian players turn, the session for the Russian player is now blocked. Again, when I change side and again choose Russian everything works again. Back to the American side after finishing the Russian turn it starts all over again: I need to constantly choose which side I wish to take.

It is a minor nuisance, but if possible I would like to eliminate this behaviour. Anybody else experiences this? Any solution?

So, first, are your passwords different?

Yes, different passwords for different logins. One thing is not different: both computers are connected to the internet through the same router.
Other difference: a pc which has been freshly installed with W7, the laptop is upgraded to W7 from Vista. Can’t imagine this would be a cause for this situation, but who knows.

TIA,
FreeHansje

I’m not familiar with this module, but I can tell you that between the shared router and Windows 7, neither should cause this behavior. I use two Win7 computers behind a shared router all the time, and have never experienced this.

Did you ever figure this out?

I know Windows has some strange firewall issues with Java, but I doubt
that’s the problem.

• M.

On 19 March 2012 08:28, TheJoker hansbrouwer2004@yahoo.com wrote:

[This message has been edited.]

Yes, different passwords for different logins. One thing is not
different: both computers are connected to the internet through the same
router.
Other difference: a pc which has been freshly installed with W7, the
laptop is upgraded to W7 from Vista. Can’t imagine this would be a cause
for this situation, but who knows.

TIA,
FreeHansje

_____________**
Read this topic online here:
vassalengine.org/**forum/vie … 0#**p32360<TS - Observer or Solo mode? - #10 by FreeHansje
_____________**
messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/**mailman/listinfo/messageshttp://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages