Disappearing modules

Okay. I have Vassal loaded on two computers in my house. One works fine. The other constantly loses the modules I load from day to day. I load a module. It’s there. I can play it. I log off and then it’s gone. When I reload the module, it doesn’t make me enter my full name and password again, so I know it’s somehere. It just doesn’t show up on my main vassal page any longer. Both computers are running windows 7. Any ideas?

Thus spake mille1212:

Okay. I have Vassal loaded on two computers in my house. One works
fine. The other constantly loses the modules I load from day to day. I
load a module. It’s there. I can play it. I log off and then it’s
gone. When I reload the module, it doesn’t make me enter my full name
and password again, so I know it’s somehere. It just doesn’t show up on
my main vassal page any longer. Both computers are running windows 7.
Any ideas?

Did you move the module files between when they showed up in VASSAL’s
Module Manager and when you found them missing?

J.

No. Unfortunately, I don’t even know where they are at. The same things happens everytime I try and load a module. I load it. It’s shows up in my Vassal library like it’s supposed to. I turn the computer off. I log back in and it is no longer there.

Thus spake mille1212:

No. Unfortunately, I don’t even know where they are at. The same
things happens everytime I try and load a module. I load it. It’s
shows up in my Vassal library like it’s supposed to. I turn the
computer off. I log back in and it is no longer there.

The module files should be wherever you saved them when you downloaded
them. Remember where that is. Then, the next time one disappears from
the MM, check if the module file is still in that location. If it is,
then you might have found a VASSAL bug. If not, then the fault is with
your module files being moved or deleted, not with VASSAL.

J.

Normally, when I download a module off of Vassal, I click open (not save). When I do this the main MM using pops up and asks me to enter my first and last name, etc. Then the screen pops up that say play online, offline, etc. Nowhere can I see where this is saving too. Maybe this is my problem. When I click the save button, a screen pulls up with no recommendation on where to save. Maybe when I click open, it’s saving in a temp file or something. Where do you recommend that I save the files when clicking the same button instead of the open button. Does it matter where the files are saved on my computer? I want to get this fixed, as I lost 1/2 of my games again today. Repeatedly downloading them is getting old. Thanks.

By the way, this is happening on two computers in my house running windows 7.

Can you verify that the file is being downloaded and saved to your hard drive? it sounds like you are choosing to run the file directly from a download, not saving it to your hard drive. Is that correct?

Your web browser has a default location where it saves any files you download (Vassal modules, mp3s, whatever else) and you should be able to determine this by checking the browser settings/options. Are there any other modules (.vmod files) in this location?

Vassal simply doesn’t have the capability to delete or relocate downloaded files. So this is definitely an OS issue.

What sounds like is happening is you are running it directly from a download, Windows is ‘saving’ it to a temp file, you are playing it, powering down when done…and at some point Windows is deleting the temp file, perhaps when you power down…so your module is gone. But it was only in your temp files anyway.

I think you need to save the download locally (don’t pick open)… save it someplace to your hard drive (any folder will do–I’d suggest the desktop so it’s easy to see and find the downloaded file). Then try running it again and see what happens.

It shouldn’t matter where you save them, as long as you do. I agree that it sounds like it’s getting stored in some temp location and then disappearing when you are done when you use your current method.

Just choose a location to save modules that will be easy for you to remember and locate consistently. That could be a folder on your Desktop named “VASSAL Modules”, or a folder in your My Documents, a folder in the root of your C: drive, or whatever is easiest for you. VASSAL won’t care where it is, as long as you don’t move or rename the location.

Thanks eveyone. I’ll try it and let you know.