Marvel Heroes

Please ask here any questions, or report any bugs, found with the Marvel Heroes module and I will try to reply asap. Thanks.

Hello, I just released version 1.1 of the module. It includes English and German versions of all cards in the game, as well as facilitated solo play mode. It also includes many bug fixed and support for the Sentinels’ Area Attack. Please see full Release Notes (from the Help menu after starting a game).

Please report in this thread (or via private msg) any issues you might still find.

I actually just tried playing it and twice in a row the game seemed to decide that the Avengers won after scoring a victory point off a story action despite being nowhere near the right total.

Ouch! I will look into it first thing tomorrow and release a new patched version if this is confirmed. Can you be more specific? Which kind of story action, which scenario and what was the end game message?

Also, was this in “solo play”? Because I am pretty sure story actions used to all work fine in network/hot-seat mode (but it might also be a bug specific to a particular scenario).

Thanks.

Great job with the module. I have found a couple of bugs, though. The first one is that, as the F4, you can not activate allies linked to their team in the plotting phase; the option does not appear when right clicking.
Also, I found a problem when trying to use Red Skull´s scheming ability and also with an event card that increases the hero danger rating (do not remember the name).

Thanks again for all your work

Hi, thanks for your post!

I checked and I can confirm the first bug (with the F4 allies, solo play mode only) but I couldn’t reproduce the other two. Just to make sure, let me report here the procedures in the two cases you mentioned:

1. Heroic Action card (to reduce Danger level), as well as wimilar card which reduce Mistery/Crime threat levels, should be played first, by right clicking on them in the team window (“Play”) and then one has to right click on the ready hero in Manhattan who is sent troubleshooting; this is done this way because you might have more than one ready hero, in different districts, both with the same threat type (Danger in this case) and the game does not know which one to send… Note that when you right click on the hero you only get the “Troubleshoot (action)” option, and no Return Home or Send elsewhere options… Moreover, if you play Heroic Action, say, by mistake because your ready hero are actually positioned to solve Crime/Mistery threats… then you are forced to click UNDO once or the game stays frozen.

2. Red Skull’s scheming and scheming in general is done after you declare an (optional) masterplan attempt. The mastermind specific scheming ability can be played once at the appropriate time. For Red Skull, you can play it immediately, to increase the threat level by the level of the troubleshooting hero (of highest level, if more than one): click on the “Scheming” part of Red Skull card and then right click on a card in the Red Skull’s villains pile to discard it. Either before or after doing that (of if you decide not to take the special Red Skull scheming) you can increase threat level by RS’s own Danger/Crime/Mistery level, by selecting the corresponding command on the right click menu of the Red Skull miniature. Note that max threat level can always be 8, as per the game rules, so that option will not be available anymore if you already increase threat level to 8 following the special scheming ability. Alternatively, you can take the “draw … extra villain cards” scheming option. Since those are “extra”, this option is initially greyed out and will become available - unless scheming was already done - after rolling for trouble and receiving the standard villain cards all mastermind receive when troubleshooting. Finally, if you opted not to increase threat level and not to draw extra cards, Red Skull and the others (except Dr Doom) can still boost villain dice: you do that by right clicking on the mastermind miniature (back home or in the combat window if he is also attempting a masterplan) when combat finally starts and you get to the initial power selection choice (and no later than that).

I am gonna list here the known issues and bugs, whenever one is discovered. This list will be updated whenever possible, please check the latest version of this post, which it will always be the furthest down in the thread. Generally speaking a new release of the module will be done when all (or most) known bugs show as fix committed.

Please report any bugs in this thread trying to be as exhaustive as possible (which scenario, which team, which action, which previous completed action, which turn, how many plot points left, which combat phase/sequence, which power up/masterplans in use etc etc).

Known issues in version 1.1 (Vassal related and unsolvable with current engine):

1. General slowness of response… keep in mind the module is doing a lot of behind the scenes actions for you… and Vassal was never really designed for this type of automation

2. Resources and villain cards should not be movable at all (current Vassal limitiation): players are not supposed to drag them anywhere

3. Multiple heroes in the same district do not stack properly (current Vassal limitation): players need to use UP/DOWN arrows to bring chosen hero to front

4. Similarly, solved headlines and story cards don’t stack properly in team windows: used UP/DOWN arrows if you want to look at them

5. Combat log in combat screen doesn’t roll well: sometimes, when hero/villain takes a KO and looks beaten, text overlaps instead of rolling

6. Game log (in the chat window) shows out of synch on remote computers (i.e. when player A takes its turn it shows in wrong order for player B and viceversa)

Known issues/bugs in version 1.1 (work in progress to fix them):

1. In some circumstance hero/villain continue buttons in the combat window are still presented at the same time, causing potential freezes if all players (online) click on them at the same time

2. The rare events of hero and villain simultaneously getting knocked off are not yet completely supported (Absorbing Man case only?) and the game will freeze

3. Basic story action (=just take one resource) is not working in solo play mode → fix committed

4. Forced game ended has been reported following some story action which gave VP to a team, despite it being far from required winning level (solo play mode only?) → need more exhaustive reports, cannot reproduce!

5. Cerebro/Peter Parker/Blue-Eyed Thing supporting actions are not working when trying to advance story track or just take 1 resource card (solo play mode only?)

6. Cerebro does not work if there are no X-Men cards in the track or freezes waiting for 2nd story action if there is only 1 X-Men card in the track and first story action was moving it to top (solo play mode?)

7. Combat with multiple villain players freezes when head villain was Absorbing Man and he was activated to give a KO on his defense roll with hero dead as a result

8 ) The phase log (showing current initiative, current event, next event) is not showing if no villain shows up and game proceeds directly to masterplan resolution

1. Sabretooth and Abomination should not be able to activate their ability to remove the KO just taken (i.e. when they just took their first KO) → fix committed

2. Elektra’s Ninja ability should be unstoppable by the likes of Sabretooth/Abomination (i.e. those villains should not be able to remove either the 1st and the 2nd KO when Elektra inflicts two KO’s at once via Ninja ability)

3. Rhino’s combat ability shows as properly activating at the right time but it is not really used in dice comparison → fix committed

4. In some circumstances ready (supporting?) small miniatures are left behind in the combat window when the game moves on after combat

5. Invisible Woman’s supporting combat ability was removing an extra hit when activated → fix committed

6. Some reports used for module editing and debugging are showing up in game window by mistake (e.g. during Head Villain definition phase) and should be removed

7. When moving on to masterplan resolution the “Used” labels on the ready hero combat ability(ies) should be removed

8. Fantastic Four could not play any ally linked to them (solo play mode only) → fix committed

9. The Enchantress Enchanted Kiss should not carry on to different ready hero if troubleshooting team changes fighting hero in multiple ready hero situations

10. The power ups/masterplans in the English version are mostly unreadable → please somebody send high resolution scans!

Updated with three new bugs reported but also several new bug fixes committed.

New bug found:

1. At game start the (randomly selected) first player is not able to do any plotting unless he/she was the one starting the game itself (network play bug only and due to a Vassal known bug)

Update: now that bug 4302 with the Vassal engine was resolved (fixing issue 6 and bug 22 in this list) I am working to streamline the “continue” buttons during combat (to fix bugs 1, 20 and 21) and then I will release version 1.2. It will need Vassal 3.2.0 to run properly (or issue 6 and bug 22 will still be there). Aiming at a early-mid september release.

This is the final update for version 1.1 (discussion moving to the new thread for version 1.2 of the module which I am about to release today).

Known issues in version 1.1 (Vassal related and unsolvable with current engine):

1. General slowness of response… keep in mind the module is doing a lot of behind the scenes actions for you… and Vassal was never really designed for this type of automation

2. Resources and villain cards should not be movable at all (current Vassal limitiation): players are not supposed to drag them anywhere

3. Multiple heroes in the same district do not stack properly (current Vassal limitation): players need to use UP/DOWN arrows to bring chosen hero to front

4. Similarly, solved headlines and story cards don’t stack properly in team windows: used UP/DOWN arrows if you want to look at them

5. Combat log in combat screen doesn’t roll well: sometimes, when hero/villain takes a KO and looks beaten, text overlaps instead of rolling

6. Game log (in the chat window) shows out of synch on remote computers (i.e. when player A takes its turn it shows in wrong order for player B and viceversa) → fixed by Vassal 3.2.0 (starting with build 8268)

Known issues/bugs in version 1.1:

1. In some circumstance hero/villain continue buttons in the combat window are still presented at the same time, causing potential freezes if all players (online) click on them at the same time → fix committed

2. The rare events of hero and villain simultaneously getting knocked off are not yet completely supported (Absorbing Man case only?) and the game will freeze

3. Basic story action (=just take one resource) is not working in solo play mode → fix committed

4. Forced game ended has been reported following some story action which gave VP to a team, despite it being far from required winning level (solo play mode only?) → need more exhaustive reports, cannot reproduce!

5. Cerebro/Peter Parker/Blue-Eyed Thing supporting actions are not working when trying to advance story track or just take 1 resource card (solo play mode bug only) → fix committed

6. Cerebro does not work if there are no X-Men cards in the track or freezes waiting for 2nd story action if there is only 1 X-Men card in the track and first story action was moving it to top (solo play mode bug only) → fix committed

7. Combat with multiple villain players freezes when head villain was Absorbing Man and he was activated to give a KO on his defense roll with hero dead as a result → fix committed

8 ) The phase log (showing current initiative, current event, next event) is not showing if no villain shows up and game proceeds directly to masterplan resolution → fix committed

1. Sabretooth and Abomination should not be able to activate their ability to remove the KO just taken (i.e. when they just took their first KO) → fix committed

2. Elektra’s Ninja ability should be unstoppable by the likes of Sabretooth/Abomination (i.e. those villains should not be able to remove either the 1st and the 2nd KO when Elektra inflicts two KO’s at once via Ninja ability)

3. Rhino’s combat ability shows as properly activating at the right time but it is not really used in dice comparison → fix committed

4. In some circumstances ready (supporting?) small miniatures are left behind in the combat window when the game moves on after combat → fix committed

5. Invisible Woman’s supporting combat ability was removing an extra hit when activated → fix committed

6. Some reports used for module editing and debugging are showing up in game window by mistake (e.g. during Head Villain definition phase) and should be removed → fix committed

7. When moving on to masterplan resolution the “Used” labels on the ready hero combat ability(ies) should be removed → fix committed

8. Fantastic Four could not play any ally linked to them (solo play mode only) → fix committed

9. The Enchantress Enchanted Kiss should not carry on to different ready hero if troubleshooting team changes fighting hero in multiple ready hero situations → fix committed

10. The power ups/masterplans in the English version are mostly unreadable → please somebody send high resolution scans!

11. When a team is requested to acknowledge solving an headline all heroes can be sent back home for free → fix committed

12. Bullseye/Venom combat ability is not working → fix committed

13. For many villains, but not all, activation of the villain combat ability is working for lead villain player only → fix committed

14. At game start the (randomly selected) first player is not able to do any plotting unless he/she was the one starting the game itself (network play bug only and due to a Vassal known bug) → fixed by Vassal 3.2.0 (starting with build 8268)

Thanks sooo much for the german version. My little brother does not understand english :slight_smile: thx for not being a german hater ;)