movement of game pieces not showing up on opponent's screen

Several players have reported a problem with v2.21 of the Flying Colors module
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Flying_Colors

Quite often, but not always, when a player moves one of the ship game pieces forward into the hex directly ahead, his opponent does not see the piece moving on his screen. It is reported in the message window, but the piece does not actually move for the opponent. This happens in both live play and in vlogs. Movement DOES show up correctly for both players whenever a ship turns left or right in its hex. It’s only with forward movement when the problem happens.

Could this have something to do with the way the large ships are drawn (an invisible base layer with an offset layer for the actual ship image)?

Forgot to mention, we have confirmed that this problem does NOT occur when using v3.1.15 of VASSAL, but it does when using later versions.

Is this problem confirmed with Vassal 3.2.0 latest build too? (Needless to say make sure everybody uses the exact same build.)

Is the movement manual (drag and drop) or by key Command?

Could you please post a vlog demonstrating this issue.

Movement is manual. I’m attaching a vlog showing the problem. You will see a British ship move forward and turn. After the turn, it moves ahead three hexes and this is reported in the message window, but the ship game piece remains in place. At the end of the move, the ship turns and the game piece then updates to its correct location. We were both using v3.2 beta 3 of VASSAL.

Was it ever determined if this was a bug in VASSAL? Tim M. shared with me the latest development build (8566) and I still see this problem happening.

Thus spake rfdoane:

Was it ever determined if this was a bug in VASSAL? Tim M. shared with
me the latest development build (8566) and I still see this problem
happening.

When you say above that “movement is manual”, do you mean that when
the ship moves forward three hexes, that this is the result of
dragging it one hex forward three times?

J.

Yes.

Thus spake rfdoane:

Yes.

Ok. The log you posted was written by 3.2.0-beta3. I’m not confident
that every log written by the 3.2.0 betas would be correctly
interpreted by the current dev build, which is 3.2.8-svn8784.

Can you recreate and post a log with the same problem in 3.2.8-svn8784?
Dev builds are available here:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

J.

Ok, I just downloaded 3.2.8-svn8788 and was able to recreate the problem. See the attached file.

Thus spake rfdoane:

Ok, I just downloaded 3.2.8-svn8788 and was able to recreate the
problem. See the attached file.

I concur.

How much of the module can you strip out while still maintaining the
problem? Having a module which is as minimal as possible would be a
great help in troubleshooting this.

J.

Here’s a link to a version of the module that has everything stripped out except for one ship and one prototype. I also included a logfile I made with this version that shows the problem still happening.

drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

Thus spake rfdoane:

Here’s a link to a version of the module that has everything stripped
out except for one ship and one prototype. I also included a logfile I
made with this version that shows the problem still happening.

Thanks. That should help us figure out what’s going on.

J.