Battle Line: same card drawn by the two players!?

As an introduction to Vassal and to the peer-to-peer mode, I tried to play something simple like Battle Line locally (with two computers).

The problem is that both my opponent and I sometimes draw the same card, whereas the deck is supposed to not contain any duplicate! What could be happening?

Here is what we did (Vassal 3.2.2):

• 1 computer set up as Server, the other one as Client. Both computers see each other automatically: the Game room is shared, etc.
  • I created a new game room, we both moved to it, and we both did “New Game”.
  • Then one player carefully drew their card, Refreshed. The other player did the same. We wanted to avoid any “interference” from interleaved moves.

The result is that our starting hands have some cards in common, which should not happen. What could the problem be??

PS: Another strange behavior is that sometimes the board is automatically refreshed with the other player’s moves, sometimes it is not… Any help would be much appreciated!

Alright, it looks like we found a solution: one player starts a new game, the other player right-clicks on the first player’s name in the Game Room and “synchronizes”. Is this the way to go? Should “synchronize” be selected regularly by the second player?

vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i … rguide.pdf

see page 6 about synchronize

Thus spake lebigot:

Alright, it looks like we found a solution: one player starts a new
game, the other player right-clicks on the first player’s name in the
Game Room and “synchronizes”. Is this the way to go? Should
“synchronize” be selected regularly by the second player?

Yes, you must synchronize to any game you join.

J.

Thank you. I checked the manual, but I’m not sure how often should the synchronization be done: only once? The manual reads “When you synchronize, any side selection, piece movement and map selections you have performed will be reset and replaced with the game information of the player you synchronized to.” So, it looks like it is only “when one synchronizes” that everything is synchronized, and not between synchronizations. However, experience shows that only one synchronization is needed. Which is right?

When you synchronize to another player, you remain synchronized until something happens to break the synchronization–you leave the room, you experience a loss of network connectivity, etc.

If all parties have stable internet connections, you should only need to synchronize once. The only indication you’ll have that something has broken your synchronization is if one player is moving an item or typing a message and the other player is not seeing that happen on their screen.

Thank you! I would like to suggest that your description be put in the manual. :slight_smile:

I will add this to the next rev of the user’s guide.