"Ghost Counters"

Currently playing a game of Western Desert (Europa). Both my gaming partner and I have noticed at times that certain counters will sort of disappear. We can see a faint outline of where they are/were, but when you click on the hex, the counter will “appear” several hexes away. The funny thing is that you can then manipulate the counter in the hex where it was (or at least supposed to be) by right clicking and selecting an action, but you can’t manipulate it in the hex in which it physically appears. The only thread that connects all of the instances is that the counters were rotated partially clockwise (we do this to indicate out of supply condition). However, not all counters that have been rotated like this do the disappearing act.

Anyone seen this before?

Andy S.

Thus spake ogrebait:

Currently playing a game of Western Desert (Europa). Both my gaming
partner and I have noticed at times that certain counters will sort of
disappear. We can see a faint outline of where they are/were, but when
you click on the hex, the counter will “appear” several hexes away. The
funny thing is that you can then manipulate the counter in the hex where
it was (or at least supposed to be) by right clicking and selecting an
action, but you can’t manipulate it in the hex in which it physically
appears. The only thread that connects all of the instances is that the
counters were rotated partially clockwise (we do this to indicate out of
supply condition). However, not all counters that have been rotated like
this do the disappearing act.

Anyone seen this before?

Can you find a way to reproduce this behavior reliably, and tell us
the steps?

J.

The only common thread with the “ghosts” is that one person would rotate the counter 45 degrees on his map (indicating an out of supply condition), and when the other player opened the file that counter would see an outline, but no graphics, at the actual position. Unfortunately, this behavior was not consistent. Some ghosted out when the counter was rotated and some did not.

We have since come up with another way to show out of supply units that bypasses the problem, but I was just curious if anyone else had the same experience.