Adjusting Counter Facing on Placement

I’m trying to modify an existing module that has maps with a horizontal hex grain. Facing is critical for counters on the map, counters must face one of the 6 hexsides. Unfortunately when the counter is placed, it doesn’t have the right facing.

The original module gets around this by allowing 12 rather than 6 faces, but that makes it cumbersome for users to change the facing of a unit. I found the following thread that covers a case like this, but I’m somewhat of a noob, and can’t follow some of the instructions.

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=516&p=3724&hilit=facing#p3724

Brent’s solution is as follows:

Brent says to ‘hide the commands’; how is this done? I assume I need to assign the Can Rotate function (with 12 faces) to the units or one of their prototypes, but how do you hide it from the user?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Add the Restrict Commands trait. With it, you can disable or hide specified keystrokes.

Thanks Joel, but the VASSAL manual says

Any suggestions on getting around this?

You’re right–I misspoke. When you are putting in keystrokes for the Can Rotate trait, you simply leave the box for “Menu Text” blank. The keystroke can still be applied, but there won’t be anything presented to the user in a right-click context menu.

That works!

Much appreciated, Joel!