VASL - Support for Virtual ASL

Hey Ben, the link you posted is dead.

By the way, I fixed the link.

Cheers

When I try to open VASL my system wants to open the module with the VCL media player. It obviously doesn’t open that way. I have Windows XP Home Edition with VASSL 3.1.18. Why is it doing that, and how do I get around that.

When you double-click the mod file, your system thinks a .mod file is a playlist and tries to launch a media player.

You need to change your file associations so that .mod files are associated with VASL instead of a media player. (Your Windows help file should tell you how to change file associations.)

Thus spake mycenae:

When you double-click the mod file, your system thinks a .mod file is a
playlist and tries to launch a media player.

You need to change your file associations so that .mod files are
associated with VASL instead of a media player. (Your Windows help file
should tell you how to change file associations.)

Alternatively, VASSAL registers the .vmod extension, so you could change
the extension of the VASL module from .mod to .vmod (which is something
we should encourage the VASL developers to do for the next release
anyway.)

J.

I have the latest version of VASSAL and have downloaded the lastest version of VASL. When I try to load the VASl Mod I get the following error message The verison of VASL you are trying to load is incompatible with VASSAL 3.2.2. Please check www.advancedsquadleader.net for a newer version of VASL, or load this version of VASL with VASSAL 3.1.20…
My question is there a newer version of VASL other then VASLV592? Or second how can i revert to VASSAL 3.1.20?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Thus spake warhawk1955:

I have the latest version of VASSAL and have downloaded the lastest
version of VASL. When I try to load the VASl Mod I get the following
error message The verison of VASL you are trying to load is incompatible
with VASSAL 3.2.2. Please check www.advancedsquadleader.net[1] for a
newer version of VASL, or load this version of VASL with VASSAL 3.1.20…

My question is there a newer version of VASL other then VASLV592?

VASL 5.9.2 is the current version as I type this.

Or second how can i revert to VASSAL 3.1.20?

Download and install it.

J.

Thanks for the support.
Bruce

question (of course I use 3.1.20):

What is the correct extension layout for VASL ? When I load a SSF, I always get not few “extension not found” and bizarre warnings about having updated version of extensions; even being accustomed to babysit codebases crying for this or that obscure library, I simply can’t get right the mess… (I can provide the outputs, dir trees and screenshots, of course)

VSQL runs fine, of course, aside the occasional need of swapping between CoDGIA and CoDGia+ …

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

When you double-click the mod file, your system thinks a .mod file is a playlist and tries to launch a media player.

You need to change your file associations so that .mod files are associated with VASL instead of a media player. (Your Windows help file should tell you how to change file associations.)mycenae

Private message

I’m having much the same problem.I changed the association to VASSAL (pc was trying to open it in Adobe) and now it doesn’t try to open in wrong program, but nothing at all happens. No error messages and no open! I have the latest VASSAL and I tried both VASL 5.10.0 beta and 5.9.3. I can’t figure out what is wrong. VASL also doesn’t appear in the VASSAL module library.

Thus spake wliednm:

When you double-click the mod file, your system thinks a .mod file is a
playlist and tries to launch a media player.

You need to change your file associations so that .mod files are
associated with VASL instead of a media player. (Your Windows help file
should tell you how to change file associations.)

.mod is the old extension. VASSAL’s Windows installer sets up an
association for .vmod. Rename the module so that it has a .vmod
extension.

J.

I don’t know how to do that. Is that part of downloading process?

Thus spake wliednm:

I don’t know how to do that. Is that part of downloading process?

No, all I’m saying is that you should rename the file you downloaded
if its extension is .mod instead of .vmod.

J.

What I have doesn’t even have. mod, muchless .vmod and I’ve tried to rename it a couple of ways with no success. Sorry I’m so PC inept, but I am lost. VASL worked until I downloaded other mods, but now it will not.

Now II get a VASL window to open, but get an error message saying: VASSAL could not find the file ‘C:\Users\Bill\Documents\boards\bd3’.
I renamed VASL-5.10.0-beta1 to VASL.vmod-5.10.0-beta1 to get that far.

That’s not right. A file extension goes at the very end of the file name. Unfortunately for you, Windows is usually set by default to “helpfully” hide file extensions from the user. I don’t know what version of Windows you’re using, but in Windows 7 for example, you’d open any folder on your computer, look for the “Organize” menu, and choose “Folder and Search Options”, then look in the “View” tab, and untick the box for “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Then you’ll be able to see full file names including their extensions. So based on what you posted above, you’ll need to remove the .vmod that you inserted in the middle of the file name, then modify the characters after the period (which may well currently be .mod) to .vmod

I changed VASL-5.10.0-beta-1 to VASL.vmod-5.10.0-beta1 and now the imaging stuff went on like other modules, but when the VAL start window opens, I get an error message: VASSAL could not find the file ‘C:\Users\Bill\Documents\boards\bd1’. Do I have to change my board directory form where it is now?

Thus spake wliednm:

Now II get a VASL window to open, but get an error message saying:
VASSAL could not find the file ‘C:\Users\Bill\Documents\boards\bd3’.
I renamed VASL-5.10.0-beta1 to VASL.vmod-5.10.0-beta1 to get that far.

Where did you get VASL-5.10.0-beta1.mod? The download at
advancedsquadleader.net has the correct extension of .vmod.

J.

Thus spake wliednm:

Now II get a VASL window to open, but get an error message saying:
VASSAL could not find the file ‘C:\Users\Bill\Documents\boards\bd3’.

Does that file exist?

J.

As it says in the bible, “seek and ye shall find”. After your help, and a bit of trial and error, I finally got it going right. Thx for the help.