My module is not moving objects on the other player's screen

Hello,

I’ve designed quite a few modules. However, the current one I am testing seems to have an error that I have not run into with my other modules.

When I move an object, it does not move on the screen of my opponent. The feed at the top reports (to both players) that the object has moved, but the actual object (a card or a piece) has not moved on the screen of the other player. When that player draws a card or moves their piece, I also cannot see that they have moved anything (but it is still reported in the feed to both of us). Any idea as to why we are only affecting pieces on our own computer, though it’s still in the feed for both of us?

Thanks!

Joel

Thus spake JoelGomez:

Hello,

I’ve designed quite a few modules. However, the current one I am testing
seems to have an error that I have not run into with my other modules.
The feed at the top reports (to both players [myself and friend]) that
an object has moved, but the actual moved object (a card or a piece) is
not visible to another player. When that player draws a card or moves
their piece, I also cannot see that they have moved anything (but it is
still reported in the feed to both of us). Any idea why we are only
affecting pieces on our own computer, though it’s still in the feed for
both of us?

Can you provide steps for reproducing this, or does it happen only
intermittently?

J.

I just made a new simple test module, and it seems to be having the same issue.

The test module: I made one map with a single piece in the middle. I log in for an online game, and when I drag and drop the piece, it moves on my screen, but the piece does not move on my opponent’s screen. It still reports it on both of our computers. When he drags the piece, it does not move on my screen, but it reports it to both of us. Not only this, but when I shuffle a deck… it is not shuffled for the opponent. Basically, nothing is transferring other than a report of the action.

I’ve opened one of my older modules I made a few months ago, and it does not have this issue.

How do I get my actions / movements to translate to other players and vice-versa? Is this a Vassal glitch?

Thus spake JoelGomez:

I just made a new simple test module, and it seems to be having the same
issue.

The test module: I made one map with a single piece in the middle. I log
in for an online game, and when I drag and drop the piece, it moves on
my screen, but the piece does not move on my opponent’s screen. It still
reports it on both of our computers. When he drags the piece, it does
not move on my screen, but it reports it to both of us. Not only this,
but when I shuffle a deck… it is not shuffled for the opponent.
Basically, nothing is transferring other than a report of the action.

I’ve opened one of my older modules I made a few months ago, and it does
not have this issue.

How do I get my actions / movements to translate to other players and
vice-versa? Is this a Vassal glitch?

We need to see your module to help you further.

J.

Sure!

This is my extremely simple test one that is having the exact same issue.

Thanks!

The first thing that comes to mind when I looked at it is that you haven’t defined any player sides.

I search for a similar yet trickier problem. I made a module for my own game, and yesterday tried testing it with a friend. On normal map, where troups move, everything was fine. Tricky part is, that the mentioned problem (that the person, who created this thread, had) exists only on a SECOND window (or one of the windows, to be exact). if i ever have to post my module here for my problem to be solved by You, lovely Community, i will say that the window in which problem exists is the Dice Arena - for easier dicerolling i “invented” new way for dice to be introduced to Vassal module, that is - as game pieces with 6 (or actually 7) layers and with option to only randomly select a layer. That way dice can be rolled, can be put one next to the other, which is important for simple showing things to oponent (mechanics of the game need this OR players would have to use imagination and type much in every round, which would be painfull a bit). Plus it allows to add counters for modifiers to CERTAIN die in a certain throw. Aint matter, what matters is, that each of the players had this bug and didnt see oponent’s dice thrown, even tho he heard sound which then occurs and saw “player X rolled dice” action report. What the fox? Help pls

EDIT: I maybe didnt say that, but my module DOES have player sides and they work well (except it doesnt cause im still soemtimes failing cause i cannot into logic and programming so i make stupid mistakes, but i always know why an “error” occurs so thats not the problem, i guess.

Still doesnt work, after some minor changes made in faith that it will help. Nope. Help pls.

I don’t know off-hand and don’t have any experience with live play. But if you record a logfile of it yourself as a test (for example, start a new game and a new logfile, roll the dice a bit, save the vlog, close the game out, change your password, then open the saved vlog and enter the game as a new 2nd player, run the vlog), do you see the same problem when playing back the turn?

Anyway, I guess the first thing I’d do is make another dice window from scratch using a plain, basic map window and try the piece on it. If that works slowly start building back up the window as you wanted it, testing it a couple times between builds. Opposite that, you might try slowly deleting traits from the dice piece and see if that changes anything. Both of these would be done to try and isolate the problem. You can do these with a back-up module file, so your original stays as is while you work the problem.

Good luck with it.

I dont’ know if this is the same problem or not, but it looks like very similar to what happened to me. I’m working on a module and testing it with an opponent. This module has a second board (Battle Board) that is used to solve the combats. When I need to solve a combat, open this board and resolve the combat. The board is public and should be visible to both player. When I save the move on a logfile and send it to my opponent, he can see only what is happening on the main board. If he wants to see what happened on the Battle Board during the combat, he needs to manually open the board just after loading the logfile.

Question: there is a way to record in a logfile what happened in a second public board different from the main board in a manner that my opponent can see what happened to both the board while browsing the logfile?

Cheers.

Panther 2010.

:question: