Create account / Log in

Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Discussion area for the development team.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby mkiefte » May 10th, 2013, 12:06 am

>
> I'm supposing that you mean V3.2 here. VASL *is* a standard module, it
> just happens to contain a great deal of custom code (similar to TS, in
> that regard), and this code lives in our repo for lack of a better
> place. It's been years since the current version of VASL was a stand-
> alone app.
>


I think one of the goals for V4 should be to incorporate the features that
VASL and TS needed to do in custom code. I know I've gotten a bunch of
requests for that. Some are very obvious (dealing hands, card counts in
the toolbar, new zoom class for hands, etc.)

It would be good for someone intimately familiar with VASL to help out with
that. I would include Combat Commander in that list as well as I believe
there's a fair bit of custom code in that as well.

- M.
User avatar
mkiefte
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: January 5th, 2008, 1:29 am
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby djsullivan » June 20th, 2013, 5:26 am

mkiefte wrote:I think one of the goals for V4 should be to incorporate the features that
VASL and TS needed to do in custom code. I know I've gotten a bunch of
requests for that. Some are very obvious (dealing hands, card counts in
the toolbar, new zoom class for hands, etc.)

It would be good for someone intimately familiar with VASL to help out with
that.

I believe Joel envisions the bulk of the VASL code being replaced by capabilities inherent in the new architecture. The map stuff might be tricky. Anything that requires the boards to be changed would be a tall order given the amount of TLC that goes into them.

I'm trying to resurrect the VASL LOS code and am wondering if anything that complex could be done via scripting.

-David
djsullivan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 19th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby MKSheppard » July 29th, 2013, 1:36 am

I know my $0.02 has very little sway here, but will VASSAL 4 require Java in some form? Reason I ask is that there have been so many zero day exploits regarding Java the last few years that I'm very leery of installing it on any of my machines when I do clean installs.
MKSheppard
 
Posts: 1
Joined: July 29th, 2013, 1:26 am

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » July 29th, 2013, 8:42 am

Thus spake MKSheppard:
> I know my $0.02 has very little sway here, but will VASSAL 4 require
> Java in some form? Reason I ask is that there have been so many zero day
> exploits regarding Java the last few years that I'm very leery of
> installing it on any of my machines when I do clean installs.

One of my goals is to never use Java again myself in a non-work project.
The reference desktop client we produce for V4 will not use Java in any
way.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8797
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby Grummore » September 9th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Have you started at some point programming VASSAL 4 ? (long thread that spread from 2011 to 2013)
Grummore
 
Posts: 1
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » September 10th, 2013, 12:25 am

Thus spake Grummore:
> Have you started at some point programming VASSAL 4 ? (long thread that
> spread from 2011 to 2013)
>

Yes, I'm doing prototype work now.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8797
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby b2s » September 12th, 2013, 11:10 pm

The only thing I would have suggested to help keep the java app more maintainable would have been try to use the Netbeans Platform. It contains a lot of the boiler plate code and OS specific gui stuff in it, from what I understand.
b2s
 
Posts: 2
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby djsullivan » September 15th, 2013, 3:50 pm

b2s wrote:The only thing I would have suggested to help keep the java app more maintainable would have been try to use the Netbeans Platform. It contains a lot of the boiler plate code and OS specific gui stuff in it, from what I understand.

VASL 4 will be C++, so NetBeans in NA. -David
djsullivan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 19th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby djsullivan » September 15th, 2013, 3:56 pm

uckelman wrote:Thus spake Grummore:
Yes, I'm doing prototype work now.

Any idea when you'll have an update on the progress? I'm interested in hearing where you are going with the design for the client applications and the strategy for code reuse. I'm hoping we can move to MVC and use messages vs. the command pattern. But that's my bias from using Cocoa/Objective C. :wink:

-David
djsullivan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 19th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby b2s » September 16th, 2013, 12:32 am

Sorry, my point was you could use the existing components within the netbeans platform. I personally have never seen the "big re-write" in the sky work successfully.
b2s
 
Posts: 2
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » September 16th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Thus spake b2s:
> Sorry, my point was you could use the existing components within the
> netbeans platform. I personally have never seen the "big re-write" in
> the sky work successfully.
>

The problems we have are with Java (language limitations, JDK bugs,
deployment) and architecture, not so much with GUI components (though I
do want to update those as well). I don't see that NetBeans helps with
either sort of problem.

I would not advocate rewriting a large project unless I saw no
alternative. I've been working to clean up the current codebase in
order to avoid a rewrite since 2006. We're in a much better place now
in terms of code quality then we were then, but the things which we've
fixed since 2006 have largely been problems which can be fixed locally.
The architectural problems we now need to fix aren't like that. They
touch virtually every part of VASSAL. Shoehorning these changes into the
existing codebase would be at least as much work as the changes
themselves---and even after that, we would still have the problems that
come from Java.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8797
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » October 1st, 2013, 8:21 pm

Thus spake djsullivan:
>
> "uckelman" wrote:
> > Thus spake Grummore:
> > Yes, I'm doing prototype work now.
> >
>
> Any idea when you'll have an update on the progress?

Nearly all of the time I expected to have in September was destroyed
by work and travel for work. I'm trying now to get back into a position
to make progress within the next few days.


--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8797
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby Hamster » February 7th, 2014, 3:52 pm

I was just wondering...what is the status of VASSAL 4?
Hamster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby uckelman » February 10th, 2014, 10:10 am

Thus spake Hamster:
> I was just wondering...what is the status of VASSAL 4?

There have been some other things---moving our web server to a new host,
the bug fixes in 3.2.9, 3.2.10, and 3.2.11, and helping the VASL guys do
a 3.2-compatible release---which were higher priority for me than
working on VASSAL 4 for the past few months. With all of that out of the
way, I'll be shifting my efforts to working on V4.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8797
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Postby Hamster » February 21st, 2014, 1:26 pm

Good to hear that you will be shifting your attention back to V4.

It's probably waaaaaay to late, but how about making V4 cloud-based? Players would login to the Vassal Cloud and can start any module they want. Or they can start creating a new module.
Hamster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 10:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Developers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest