star smuggler

Quick update - I’ve been working on a different mod these last few days, so I don’t have much to report (the other one’s giving me headaches). I hope to pick up work on Star Smuggler again soon.

One of the things I intend to do is make tokens for the various pieces of cargo you can haul in game. For that, I’m going to need to go through the rules and events more thoroughly. I also intend to add irregular grids to the various locations on the maps; that way they’ll throw messages with the appropriate rules references when you move pieces around the boards.

Still having the same problems with HTML anchors in 3.2.8 that I was having with 3.2.5.

Got the Accounts boards in, still need to add boards for crewmembers - that’s the plan for later today. I’m going to attempt to build a composite of the Sanders player aid boards for the purpose, that way they’ll have the same level of functionality as the original sheet.

Also have been working on building commodities tiles and fixing the rules and events HTMLs slowly but surely. I think I’m going to forego direct hyperlinks entirely; much as it pains me to do that, it seems to be the best way to avoid the kinds of headaches the HTML portion of the game has been giving me to date.

Thus spake capi3101:

Got the Accounts boards in, still need to add boards for crewmembers -
that’s the plan for later today. I’m going to attempt to build a
composite of the Sanders player aid boards for the purpose, that way
they’ll have the same level of functionality as the original sheet.

Also have been working on building commodities tiles and fixing the
rules and events HTMLs slowly but surely. I think I’m going to forego
direct hyperlinks entirely; much as it pains me to do that, it seems to
be the best way to avoid the kinds of headaches the HTML portion of the
game has been giving me to date.

I haven’t yet had a chance to look into the HTML anchors problem you
reported. There might still be a solution.

J.

Okay - prepping work on the mod to go both ways at the moment, actually, and it’s become the lowest priority item in the mod for the moment. If I can assist with pinning down specific bugs in any way, lemme know.

Been trying to get artwork together for in-game commodities lately. I’ve got about another thirty or so to go and the ones that are left are getting tricky; there’s only so much (ostensibly) free artwork out there for something like this…

Most of the other art elements are in the game at this point, though. I just need to generate a series of digits for layering, crewmen names for layering (have the list, just need to build it), and tokens with the names of the planets (for wanted statuses and for indicating the location of caches). I also still need to add a Notes Window to the mod (try as I might to cover every facet of the game, I bet there’s at least one thing I’ve forgotten to implement somewhere).

Quick update - I’ve completed the gathering of commodities artwork at this point and I’ve started adding it all to the mod. If I can get a decent amount of time to work in the near future I daresay I’ll be able to get the artwork all in this week, and then it’s just a matter of finishing up with the HTML. Probably will want to do at least one test run before I post the game as well. Shouldn’t be too much longer, though.

Had a curious incident last night - finished getting all the commodities into the game and saved it, so the next bit was to get crewmember names working. That was going along splendedly, but VASSAL couldn’t save the game when I tried…I was thinking it might’ve been because there wasn’t sufficient space remaining on my jump drive (where the mod file itself is located), but it still had over a gigabyte of space available. I’m hoping that was just a fluke; I guess I’ll know for sure when I go to work on the mod later today. Meantime, I’ve lost that particular bit of work (at least all the commodities are in…).

Fluke, I’m happy to report; was able to get the work re-done this morning. If I’d had another five minutes on my lunch break, I daresay I would’ve gotten out of the “get everything in” phase and into the QC phase (sans the HTML of course, but even there I’m making headway).

Thus spake capi3101:

Had a curious incident last night - finished getting all the commodities
into the game and saved it, so the next bit was to get crewmember names
working. That was going along splendedly, but VASSAL couldn’t save the
game when I tried…I was thinking it might’ve been because there wasn’t
sufficient space remaining on my jump drive (where the mod file itself
is located), but it still had over a gigabyte of space available. I’m
hoping that was just a fluke; I guess I’ll know for sure when I go to
work on the mod later today. Meantime, I’ve lost that particular bit of
work (at least all the commodities are in…).

What was the error message?

J.

@Uckelman: I was unable to replicate the error last night on the same machine that gave it to me in the first place, so I can’t give you the exact error message. Something about it not being able to delete the old mod file to replace it with the new one. Since I can’t replicate the error, though, I’m firmly of the opinion it was just a fluke.

At this point I’m setting up At-Start Stacks for the E000 (game start) conditions, and once that’s done all I need to do is implement the HTMLs. Shouldn’t be much longer.

Thus spake capi3101:

Still having the same problems with HTML anchors in 3.2.8 that I was
having with 3.2.5.

I’m looking into this now. The way we’re handling local anchors is
completely broken. I think whoever wrote this code did not consider
that case.

J.

Okay, thanks for the update. While y’all are at it, you might want to set things up so that if you click on a menu entry it pulls up the associated page…while working on this mod, I’ve had instances where I hit a hyperlink on a page, selected another page via the menu, then tried to come back to the original page via the menu; the last page visited is where I wound up.

Current version of the mod will be sans links, because that’s the part I’m working on now (last bit to be implemented); I might be convinced to put them back in at a later time (there’s going to be a hell of a lot of HTML charts in this mod).

Thus spake capi3101:

Okay, thanks for the update. While y’all are at it, you might want to
set things up so that if you click on a menu entry it pulls up the
associated page…while working on this mod, I’ve had instances where I
hit a hyperlink on a page, selected another page via the menu, then
tried to come back to the original page via the menu; the last page
visited is where I wound up.

Can you give me a minimal module where this happens along with steps
to reproduce the problem?

Current version of the mod will be sans links, because that’s the part
I’m working on now (last bit to be implemented); I might be convinced to
put them back in at a later time (there’s going to be a hell of a lot of
HTML charts in this mod).

Try 3.2.9-svn8828, available here:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

Does that fix your anchors problem? (BTW, your example had ‘id’ as the
anchor attribute instead of ‘name’. I’m not certain that Java’s HTML
renderer supports ‘id’ as an anchor.)

J.

Will do - not someplace where I can work with VASSAL at the moment but I’ll get a sample mod to you as soon as I can. Will also try out 3.2.9 and see if things are different or not.

Now running 3.2.9-svn8828, and my test file is attached. Neither test passed in 3.2.8, but the targeted link test passed in 3.2.9.

I’ll begin setting up for anchors then…it’ll be far easier for me to build two large HTML charts than to build somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 tiny ones…

BTW, my windows have been doing some wonky things lately size-wise (the text box extends all the way down to the bottom of the screen and I have to resize it to see the main board, have to resize the piece window in a Game Piece Pallette so the Scrollable Menu is visible, things like that). Any pointers on setting their dimensions directly?

Thus spake capi3101:

Now running 3.2.9-svn8828, and my test file is attached. Neither test
passed in 3.2.8, but the targeted link test passed in 3.2.9.

Your other test isn’t ever going to pass, as that’s not how the
charts work. When you follow a link, the current chart displays
the document at the URL of the link you followed. The chart has
no way of telling that there’s another chart already displaying
the target document.

BTW, my windows have been doing some wonky things lately size-wise (the
text box extends all the way down to the bottom of the screen and I have
to resize it to see the main board, have to resize the piece window in a
Game Piece Pallette so the Scrollable Menu is visible, things like
that). Any pointers on setting their dimensions directly?

There might be some sizing information stored in your preferences. Look
in VASSAL/prefs/ for that, in the place where program prefs
are stored on your system.

J.

Okay, thanks. So I guess I need to be sure and put a link back to the source page on the destination page then if I don’t want mod players to get all kinds of messed up and angry and carted off to prison in a violent rage…

Occurred to me on my walk this morning that there was one more test I needed to run: to target a link on a different HTML file. For example, E001 (an event) makes reference to several of the R2 series (rules), including R201. I want to make sure I can target R201 specifically. And while I’m at it, I’d like to target R201 via the menu as well. A couple of things to check that didn’t work in 3.2.8 there.

I am considering putting everything into one large HTML chart at this point. Depends on what happens with the menu system.

Thus spake capi3101:

Occurred to me on my walk this morning that there was one more test I
needed to run: to target a link on a different HTML file.

I tested this myself in the build for which I posted the link. It
should work.

J.

Tried out a targeted link to a different HTML this morning; it worked as you said, just leaving the aforementioned problem of the current chart displaying whatever document is at the URL followed. What did not work was trying to access a targeted link from the menu - I’ll attach a picture that shows what happens when I attempt to set it up. The mod displayed nothing when tried to access R201 directly through the menu (which is probably to be expected given the error message, right?).